Can’t hold my dragon for more than minutes :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fam0501

110824-3234937494.jpg
110824-7795292.jpg
Hi everyone! I purchased a baby bearded dragon almost three months ago. The first two weeks was great! I held him several times a day with no problems. Then things changed lol. He would run away in the tank hissing at me and would not let me hold him. This went on for a couple of weeks. Now for the past two weeks we’re back to holding
110824-7795292.jpg
him maybe once a week for a few minutes. He let’s me pet him in the tank everyday for a few seconds :) But .... there’s still a but. When holding him longer than 5 minutes he begins to get antsy in my hand and his mouth opens wide as he gives me a quiet little hiss :/ Any other suggestions besides having patience?? I’m just worried as he gets older this “holding him for a little bit” might get complicated :(

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please start hand feeding him some BSFL www.symtonbsf.com -- do not dust them and order large-- feed 4-5 first thing in the morning then add them to the salad bowl do this in front of him ---make a routine of it every morning before feeding the staple feeder- let him eat from that bowl for like a hr or so feed as many as you want they are a great staple feeder --- let him get use to your hand in the tank pet him in the tank approach from the side not above they will think your a predator -- this is normal behavior for them --- take a piece of clothing or a fleece blanket something w/ your scent on it and place it in his hide -- so he gets used to your smell -- he needs to learn your trust and patience is key here -- it may take him months -- you can use a glove to pick him up only hold him for like 5 minutes outside his tank --- eventually he will get used to you and the routine

My boy does this, too. We've had him since March, and he's still what I would consider tiny. Was supposed to be a well started baby, but I suspect we got a hatchling. His sister was bigger when we adopted her. She was used to people as well, where he was barely before leaving for his forever home. We hand feed, pet him, and talk soft to him. Little by little he's trusting us more. He still does his open mouth and beard before out time, but once out he relaxes a bit. He can still be flighty and jumpy but he's just a baby. Your baby will come around. Just listen to the awesome people on here and you and your baby will be fine.

Fam0501

Original Poster
Benderisgreat321":1ag3ina5 said:
My boy does this, too. We've had him since March, and he's still what I would consider tiny. Was supposed to be a well started baby, but I suspect we got a hatchling. His sister was bigger when we adopted her. She was used to people as well, where he was barely before leaving for his forever home. We hand feed, pet him, and talk soft to him. Little by little he's trusting us more. He still does his open mouth and beard before out time, but once out he relaxes a bit. He can still be flighty and jumpy but he's just a baby. Your baby will come around. Just listen to the awesome people on here and you and your baby will be fine.

Thank you guys so much for that reassurance!! Definitely going to try some of the ideas given. Love watching him grow and can’t wait to hold him a little longer ☺️??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom