DUNKING head in bath???

Status
Not open for further replies.

clyde612

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
I know beaded dragons can fall asleep in the bath but that is NOT what is happening here. Once he gets comfortable in the bath he will start to swim around a bit and have fun, its usually hard to get him out. Sometimes he dips his head close to the waterline, which already made me nervous, but today he literally dunked his head all the way under twice! It was brief but terrifying because I know they can easily develop respiratory issues, I was also worried about an ear infection. Why is he doing this and how concerned should I be?

Here is him dunking: https://youtu.be/h9Sz1CVI-is

chestermymunchkin

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
chester
ok ok hear me out my baby chess he does that when he wants to swim! in my opinion, its completely normal! it stresses me out a lot too but I realized I, cant baby, him 247 so I let him do it you should try too they have a blast when they splash around (btw he's adorable) :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Dunking a dragons head into the water is a VERY BAD IDEA , yes I know a lot of keepers do this .

The risks
>> the dragon is not a water dragon , or water skink , or a frog , it wont instinctively hold it's breath when is nose is immersed under the water - VERY HIGH RISK of it aspirating water into it's lungs ==> VERY BAD ==> high risk of causing a serious RI or even drowning.

Gail

BD.org Addict
kingofnobbys":2ug4l88n said:
Dunking a dragons head into the water is a VERY BAD IDEA , yes I know a lot of keepers do this .

The risks
>> the dragon is not a water dragon , or water skink , or a frog , it wont instinctively hold it's breath when is nose is immersed under the water - VERY HIGH RISK of it aspirating water into it's lungs ==> VERY BAD ==> high risk of causing a serious RI or even drowning.

Reread the OP, the dragon is dunking his head, not the owner forcing it.

To OP, looks like its time to upgrade to the bath tub so he has more room to play. Some dragons really like water and will splash around and submerge.

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
Gail":e8lnm5an said:
looks like its time to upgrade to the bath tub so he has more room to play

I have a larger tub for him but it was being used for something else last night. So you guys don't think he'll give himself a lung or ear infection?

Gail

BD.org Addict
clyde612":30b0arxn said:
I have a larger tub for him but it was being used for something else last night. So you guys don't think he'll give himself a lung or ear infection?

I've never seen a dragon who willing submerges its head, breath in water. Of course it could happen but I wouldn't worry about it unless he starts holding his head underwater

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Personally my bearded dragons do this all the time just supervise him and let him do his thing I'd advise to get a tub and wash it out before and after the bath itd lower the chances for infections especially if they are shedding or going to the bathroom in it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom