Bearded Dragon glass surfing almost all the time :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

IBLopez33

Hello all, so for some background on my beardie he's about 7/8 years old (not 100% since i'm not his original owner, i'd say he was already an adult when I got him and well used to humans) and he's been healthy through and through. To my understanding he still is since he displays no real red flags like black beard, stress marks, open mouth, discolored tongue, etc. and, again, never has since i've had him for the last 4 1/2 years. Recently though (past few weeks) he's been glass surfing like an absolute madman as soon as I turn his heat lamp and UVB lamp on. He'll bask for like 5 minutes, then it's gametime. He still eats (crickets and dry food) and drinks water just like normal, so his diet hasn't changed. I keep his tank nice and clean so he doesn't live in a dirty environment, and he also still is using the bathroom like normal.
I thought maybe it was a heat lamp issue, so I turned it off one day and he still kept going for hours. The only thing I can think of is him just wanting to be out of his tank. It's a bit tough for me since I work at home and constantly need to be at my desk for work, so the poor guy goes nuts wanting to get out. I've taken him out for an hour or so this past week everyday or so, but he still goes nuts once I put him until later. The other weird thing is if i don't turn his heat light on (UVB is still on)in the morning, he won't go crazy. He'll sit by the glass and just relax like normal, but I know he needs to stay warm so I don't want to just leave his light off until my day job is done. I have a heater near his tank (not too close) so i'm sure he's warm enough, just not in what feels like a full on desert landscape. *sidenote I DONT keep the heater on while the basking lamp is on as that would definitely be TOO HOT*
Reflection is also something I thought of, but I've tried covering his tank with sheets of white paper so he can't see himself, but that doesn't seem to make much of a difference. So first does anyone have an idea if this is anything else besides a classic case of a beardie wanting to be out and about? and two, does anyone have any ideas/solutions to keeping him happy while I have to be at work? I don't want him to be unsatisfied now :/ and I certainly don't want him just glass surfing all day long.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please go over the basking temps and how your taking them? No stick ons they are inaccurate--- UVB NO coils please --- glass surfing can be caused by incorrect basking temps meaning too hot incorrect UVB tank is too small or could be just "spring fever" -- but we need to narrow the cause down first

IBLopez33

Original Poster
So we're good on his UVB bulb, no coil. Now i'm about 98% sure its not a temperature issue. This morning I had is heat lamp off mostly to which he didn't do any surfing or anything, just hanging out. I decided to take him out and hold him which I did for about 2 hours and he sat still just relaxing fine. I put him back in after two hours out (still heat lamp off) and he started, after seconds, going nuts again trying to get out. So the temperature variable never changed from this morning, only having him come out so it seems the spring fever is real. Any ideas on how to help him out? I don't mind handling him for a few hours a day but I of course can't keep him out 24/7 lol :)

Also I forgot to mention he's in a 40 Gallon tank, has been since I've owned him since 2016, and he hasn't really grown at all so its not like he should feel like his enclosure shrunk. I also have a spot for him to go to that is totally covered so if he feels too hot he can go hang over in that area.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Full size dragons should be in a 4x2x2 tank-- the glass surfing is normal for this time of year but I would recommend getting him out let him roam for a couple of hours - set him on a chair/ couch in front of the LR window- and get his tank upgraded

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom