Beardie REFUSES to Wear a Leash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cynesta

Hello!
I own a 2 1/2 yo bearded dragon who will not wear a leash. I got him a leash over a year ago and he puffs up and tries to take it off. I always give in because I don’t want to stress him. Anyways, today his new leash came in the mail. The first leash I had was like a faux leather “vest,” and this one is a simpler paracord leash. I put it on him and sure enough he immediately tried taking it off. I tried feeding him waxworms to take his mind off of the leash, but that didn’t help. I’m thinking of starting to put it on him at night when he’s sleepy and he can’t resist. Should I try this? I really need to get him leash trained because I want him to be able to run around outside instead of sitting in a bin. He’s a very stubborn lizard, as he also refuses to eat ANY greens. I’ve tried not feeding him for days, but he seems like he’s rather starve. Any advice for that as well? Thank you for your time and help :) -Amanda

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Not all of them tolerate leashes. It's probably not worth the stress if it can be avoided. You might try the type of leash that goes around their hips, but otherwise he may be better off in an outdoor enclosure rather than on a leash. There are mesh pop up enclosures that work really well to provide a secure area outdoors. Since they fold they are pretty portable and lightweight too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom