Is this normal or slight black bearding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

My dragon is 8-10 months old and she almost always has a darker tinge at the base of her beard on both sides of her neck. I know they get back beard from stress, cold etc. She just looks like this just about all the time. Here's some pics, sorry if a few are blurry
110867-8298358521.jpg
110867-7279427349.jpg
110867-7412478798.jpg
I have a 10 t5 reptisun that I hung inside. The tank height is 18x18x36, reptizoo 150w basking bulb that I just changed to a 100w yesterday. I have a zoomed temp gun that I monitor temps with. Cool side is 75-70 and directly under the heat lamp is 95, then off to the sides a few inches it drops to 90ish on the very sides it is 85. Where she is in the pic where she is on the hammock, it's reading 86 degrees.
Is the basking side too hot? The 150w was perfect when she was younger, but now she must be preferring cooler temps. I changed it yesterday to a 100w and she is spending more time on this side now. Previous to changing it she was spending most of her time on the col side except for right after she ate. Anyway, does the beard look normal or stressed? Only glass surfs when she is about to poop or is hungry. Thanks for any help!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The distance of the UVB should be 12-15 inches -- I wouldnt have it less than 12-- the cool side should be in the 80's and her basking should be 95-100-- all these temps should be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer for accurate temps especially on the hammock --

Evergrowingfamily

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1dwqkh4b said:
You got a fancy one-- the ones that most people use are these
https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/environmental-control-and-lighting/zoo-med-reptile-terrarium-digital-thermometer-14914.html?cgid=500202
Try leaving it on there for 10 minutes if the lamps have been on for awhile -- it should lay good on the hammock -- like on the center if shes laying on it under a lamp --

Okay I will get a temp with the probe. Also what is your opinion on adding a MVB to go along with my reptisun 10.0 t5 as I have a 22" and my tank is 36"? I bought the carolina custom cages fixture with a reflective shield. I hung it right in the middle of the back of the tank, as you can see in one of the pics. I hear you should set up the basking and uvb to be overlapping the same area, but sometimes she hangs out in the cool side all day, which my fixture isn't long enough for her to get uvb all the way to the end of the cool side. She would sit on the cool side several days over the last month or so, so I moved to uvb tube fixture to the middle of the tank so she could get some ubv on the cool side. I have the fixture hung inside, it's a 18" tank height and I have several different height platforms set up so she can adjust herself as needed. So do you think I should get some uvb in that basking bulb too, as a MVB? I don't want to get a longer fixture right now because i bought two 22" bulbs and spent $170 all together on the uvb tube set up/bulbs just a few months ago (tho I wish I would've gotten longer ones).

Here's a couple pics of my light setup, as well as her hanging out on the cool side.
110867-2035981166.jpg
110867-9246386447.jpg

Or if she goes all the way to the front of the tank here she avoids the uvb too
110867-6454475019.jpg
Anyway, I have a vet appointment for her scheduled april 28th that's the soonest they can get her in. Just want to make sure she's healthy and not distressed or hiding some kind of illness.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You only need one UVB and the one you have is really good the only thing I see is the basking light looks yellowish could be the pic but you want a bright white basking bulb--- it is optimal to have the UVB next to the basking bulb but not necessary- she will go to the light she needs-- what is necessary is the basking distance 12-15 inches along w/ the decor directly underneath-- when taking her to the vet DO NOT let them do a enema-- it is too hard on them take a stool.samplecw/ you-- read on the ER board topic beware vets doing enemas

Evergrowingfamily

Original Poster
I got temps today using a digital probe thermometer. The highest branch in those pics measured 100.3°, and surprisingly so did the hammock, 100°, which is a few inches underneath the branch. The floor is 90°. But that branch decor is way too high, it's probably 6-8 inches from the screen lid. She just loves that thing and hangs out there often, so I feel bad taking it from her, but I don't think she's getting much uvb hanging out there, and you also mentioned the basking spot needs to be 12-15" from the basking bulb even if the temps are in an okay range right? Thanks so much!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
12-15 from uvb-- you don't want the basking bulb closer than 6 inches-- as long as it's far enough where she's doesn't get burned and temps are correct leave it--- what wattage are you using for basking?

Evergrowingfamily

Original Poster
I am using a 100w at the moment. I also have a 150w, but that would probably be too hot I would think. Oh okay 12-15" from the uvb that makes more sense!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Trial and error for basking temps- just make sure you have the probe where he sits and leave for 10 min or so -- then get the temp-- post back and let me know how its going

Evergrowingfamily

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3vfpgx7r said:
Trial and error for basking temps- just make sure you have the probe where he sits and leave for 10 min or so -- then get the temp-- post back and let me know how its going

So I've been experimenting with adjusting heights and the temps this week. I'm using a 100w bulb and temps on the floor are 91. This is where I get confused. If I have the probe touching a material it reads hotter than if I move the probe slightly off of the material but still in the same spot. For example this temp was reading 99.3 here, but if I push the probe to where it is hanging off the hammock by less than an inch (so essentially the same basking spot) it reads 94 degrees.
110867-6232869830.jpg

If I have the probe on that plastic type of log in the picture, it actually reads 106 degrees, but if I push it a centimeter or so to where the probe tip is hanging off the material it again reads 94 degrees. So which one do I go by?

-and thanks so much for taking the time to help!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Its picking up ambient temps off the material and on the material its picking up the actual spot -- that is the one you want to go by --

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom