Brumation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slawson

Hello everyone. I’ve posted here a lot lol! As a first time dragon owner I want to make sure I’m doing everything right. So for the past 2 days Gobi has been in his hide. Has not come out at all. Sometimes when I look at him he’s asleep, other times, he opens his eyes slightly and looks at me. I got him in September, so I assume he is 8ish months. Is he brumating? Leading up to this he was not eating a whole bunch either. Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you in advance.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
They tend to slow down and they can semi brumate sleeping for a few days then coming out--- when was the last time out was he basking eating a little?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so let him do his thing- keep an eye on him - take him out in about 10 days if he has not appeared to offer water and keep track of his weight- if he's losing weight there's a problem- he can lose a few grams but a lot not so much

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I would keep his lights on -- if he appears offer food and water or however he normally gets water -- if he does not appear in 10 days get him out offer water if he stays out you can then offer food - if he eats he eats if he does not then dont worry about it- make sure you keep track of his weight tho -- just watch his behavior

Slawson

Original Poster
Update: he did finally decide to get up and bask this afternoon. I offered him a dandelion (his favorite) and he ate that. He still looks very sleepy to me. I don’t think he’s going to eat much more today.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So he's doing the semi brumation thing- even my older one does that never fully going into that full brumation period

Slawson

Original Poster
Ive heard from other sights that he is to young for brumation? And that I should have a fecal done? What’s your opinion on that?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It is common for the 8-10 month olds to do the semi brumation thing- it is the real younger ones that should not be doing that---- blaze did the real lazy/ semi brumation thing at that age- does he poop smell so bad it makes you want to leave the room? Is it runny ? If so then yes a fecal might be in order

Slawson

Original Poster
His poop is very formed looking and doesn’t smell super bad, it does have some smell to it but I think a normal amount of smell lol!

Slawson

Original Poster
Also while I have you here, I’m ordering his new cage. The biggest I can do is 48x18x18, due to wear his cage sits. It’s from Carolina cages. What size uvb in length do I do for that one?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So that is a 70 gallon tank-- your using a 24" fixture now? If so it will go right into that new tank --

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom