House construction; Beardie freaking out

Status
Not open for further replies.

katk

I don't know if there is anything I can do, but I feel terrible for my Beardie right now. We have construction happening in our basement, and for most of the day there is loud drilling, banging and vibrations throughout the house. My Beardie has been glass surfing and generally looking like he is freaking out throughout the day. He has been known to glass surf on occasion, but never for more than an hour usually. (I can never tell why he does this- sometimes I think it might be when he needs to poop.)

He has a basking spot, white bulb, 95-100 throughout the day. Cool spot with hiding spots is ~70-80 throughout the day. He has a 50 gal tank and UV light. He normally eats well but hasn't been eating much the past few days- even hornworms, his favorite, haven't really enticed him.

He hasn't warmed up to us yet so I am not taking him out since he is so stressed right now. Any suggestions? Will this make him permanently freaked out?

The pic is from a few weeks ago.
109407-8496078984.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They don't tend to mind a bit of noise. The vibration may be causing some distress, I'm not sure about that. It may also be coincidence if he hasn't been with you for long. If he isn't used to handling (which I would have recommended otherwise) then it's best to let him be in his enclosure as you said. Perhaps blocking the sides of his enclosure will help him feel more secure. That's worth a try. I don't think it's likely to cause any long term issues though, and he will likely settle down in time.

katk

Original Poster
Thanks, CooperDragon! I think you're right. After a few days he seems like he's calmed down a bit. He still isn't eating very much though. But, if he feels like eating, he'll eat I guess! Can't wait for this construction to end...

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He looks healthy in that photo. If he doesn't want to eat for a bit, that shouldn't cause an issue. They tend to go through phases in which they're less hungry and that's fairly normal. Just keep offering food for now and let him take what he wants. If his behavior changes or something seems off, please update and we'll do what we can to help.

katk

Original Poster
Thank you, that's good to know! I guess I'm just so used to him having a voracious appetite. I hope I don't spoil him too much with hornworms...

Now if I could only get him to warm up to me! I hand-feed him and take him out and give him treats when I hold him- but he's still desperate to get away after a minute and moves fast and frantic. I'm trying to be patient but it's been 6 months...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom