Any post-brumation advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlapJack16

Hatchling Member
First time beardie owner, and he is finally just around 18 months now.
He came out of brumation a bit ago, don't remember exactly what month/day, and seems to be doing way better than before. I feel like he had a really, really long period where he slowed down, before he actually brumated fully- it was stressful, because it seemed like it started to early to be part of the normal brumation process- is it like that the first time?

I *think* breeding season is in spring/after brumation.. I saw him headbob, for like two seconds, down-up-down-up-down, but that is it. I don't know if I should expect weird behavior for awhile w/ aggression/appetite or anything?

And really important question here- I wanted to get him tested for parasites before he brumated, so that I knew he would go in healthy- but didn't because he didn't go.
After coming out of brumation, should I get a sample tested for him, to make sure he is good to go this year?

Just lemme know,
Thanks

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They brumate and react a bit uniquely when they wake up. It's more a matter of observing him and finding what his individual pattern is and you can compare that against previous years. Generally, Darwin will wake up over the course of a couple of weeks, then get really hyper and run all over the house like a madman for a month or two. Ignores most food. Loses a small percentage of weight. Then starts to slow down again and eat more and put his weight back on. This may not be the same for all of them, but it's the general pattern. You may see head bobbing at nothing, black bearding at nothing, maybe erratic behavior for a little while. Just observe and note what you see so you can make comparisons to it in the coming years.

As far as the fecal test goes, if he is alert and seems healthy, I wouldn't worry about it. It's good to have that done as part of an annual wellness check if you can, but it isn't critical unless something seems wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom