Eating calcium powder off substrate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firerose14

So I’ve had Stanley for a few months now and I was feeding him today because he hadn’t eaten in a few days and I had dropped some calcium powder on his felt carpet substrate and he started clawing at it and licking/biting the spot where the calcium powder is. Is this normal? Is he ok? Am I doing something wrong? This is my first time owning a bearded dragon and I feel like I’m doing it wrong.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Your dragon needs to be fed everyday salads and depending on the age he should be getting insects dusted w/ calcium D3 once per feeding 5 x per week lightly coated and vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week once per feeding this is for a baby -- if hes is a adult dragon he should be getting calcium D3 dusted on the insects 2-3 times per week and that depends on the UVB your using - if you have a T 8 it should be every 2-3 days on the insects if your using a T 5 bulb then it should be calcium w / out D3 and NO phosphorus --- if your using a coil UVB you need to replace it immediately-- your dragon is lacking calcium and needs the long tube fixture so he can absorb / synthesize what hes eating -- so you have a lot of variables in there as to why hes doing what hes doing -- coils are inadequate and cause health issues

Firerose14

Original Poster
Wow, that’s a lot of information... I’ll take a look at everything and just try to get him the best care I can. Thank you so much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom