Eating calcium powder off substrate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firerose14

So I’ve had Stanley for a few months now and I was feeding him today because he hadn’t eaten in a few days and I had dropped some calcium powder on his felt carpet substrate and he started clawing at it and licking/biting the spot where the calcium powder is. Is this normal? Is he ok? Am I doing something wrong? This is my first time owning a bearded dragon and I feel like I’m doing it wrong.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Your dragon needs to be fed everyday salads and depending on the age he should be getting insects dusted w/ calcium D3 once per feeding 5 x per week lightly coated and vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week once per feeding this is for a baby -- if hes is a adult dragon he should be getting calcium D3 dusted on the insects 2-3 times per week and that depends on the UVB your using - if you have a T 8 it should be every 2-3 days on the insects if your using a T 5 bulb then it should be calcium w / out D3 and NO phosphorus --- if your using a coil UVB you need to replace it immediately-- your dragon is lacking calcium and needs the long tube fixture so he can absorb / synthesize what hes eating -- so you have a lot of variables in there as to why hes doing what hes doing -- coils are inadequate and cause health issues

Firerose14

Original Poster
Wow, that’s a lot of information... I’ll take a look at everything and just try to get him the best care I can. Thank you so much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pooper
Top Bottom