Beardie had a scare...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SarahGekkou

Hatchling Member
Hey all,
I have a nearly-2 year old female that loves to run around the apartment. She will literally run back and forth in her tank, glass surf and bob at me until I let her out for a bit.
So, I let her out. I always keep a close eye on her while she's out because we have 2 cats and I just dont want her crawling in anywhere I cant get her out of. Well, I looked away literally for a second to check my phone while she was gazing out the deck door (one of her favorite pass times), and something scared the ever loving sh*t out of her because I heard her jump and saw her scrambling underneath the recliner. Managed to get her out only for her to climb back under even deeper. Her beard was black and slightly puffed and her whole body dark, and she was making huffing noises and trying to get away from me even.

I got her back in her tank, tried to hand feed her a dried cricket and she shied away from me. Shes now in her hide. I feel so bad. I have to wonder if a bird saw her and took a dive at the window. I know having them near windows is typically not the best idea but I've had her for a year and a half and she LOVES looking out the windows, and nothing like that has happened before.
So, any advice? Should I just leave her alone for a while? I'm such a paranoid pet keeper I want to check in on her every 30 seconds to make sure she's okay but I know too much stress can kill them. Help please... :(

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
She got some sort of scare and probably a bird - she will be fine let her hide out in her cave for a while -- mine do the same thing they sit on the back of a big chair I have looking out the LR window - birds are in the front yard in the feeders - sometimes they get scared and head for the throw pillow on the seat of the chair and go and hide

SarahGekkou

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
An update
She came out of her hide last night while my boyfriend and I were out to dinner and she slept on her favorite tree. Today she's basking and she took some food. But the usual running around wanting to get put of her tank has not returned. Might not for a while. Poor girl.

SarahGekkou

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Another update
Cersei's been pretty lethargic since her scare. Pretty much just basking the entire day. Very occasionally she'll come down from her basking spot to eat or climb up to her favorite tree, but mostly she just sits in her basking spot and sleeps. Any advice...?

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
SarahGekkou":2ki5n6b8 said:
Another update
Cersei's been pretty lethargic since her scare. Pretty much just basking the entire day. Very occasionally she'll come down from her basking spot to eat or climb up to her favorite tree, but mostly she just sits in her basking spot and sleeps. Any advice...?
Scares can sometimes take a while to get over. Dragons have great memory (at least I think they do). You need to make her feel comfortable again, of course this will take a lot ofcuddle time, but it's good for her and good for you too.

SarahGekkou

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":j2xirk72 said:
What kind of UVB are you using? Coil or tube please?
Tube, and I'm not concerned about her lighting. I've gone over my setup several dozen times with multiple people on this site and the vet I take her to. Her lights and temps are fine.
She's since gone back to her usual self

SarahGekkou

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Gormagon":2hz13430 said:
Scares can sometimes take a while to get over. Dragons have great memory (at least I think they do). You need to make her feel comfortable again, of course this will take a lot ofcuddle time, but it's good for her and good for you too.
I left her alone for a few days. I usually dont take her out of her tank during the week because of my being at work almost her entire awake time, but I always make sure to spend plenty of time with her during the weekends. She got a "beardie spa", consisting of a bath, manicure, and "gym time" (running around the apartment to her heart's content) this past weekend. She seems to be back to her old self now. :)
I think they've got pretty good memory too, but Cersei's a tough cookie. She got over it. Lol

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
SarahGekkou":1a2jh3y3 said:
Gormagon":1a2jh3y3 said:
I left her alone for a few days. I usually dont take her out of her tank during the week because of my being at work almost her entire awake time, but I always make sure to spend plenty of time with her during the weekends. She got a "beardie spa", consisting of a bath, manicure, and "gym time" (running around the apartment to her heart's content) this past weekend. She seems to be back to her old self now. :)
I think they've got pretty good memory too, but Cersei's a tough cookie. She got over it. Lol
That's great news!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom