Pooping more than usual

Status
Not open for further replies.

PogoSyd

I'm not too concerned yet since this has happened in non-health-threating situations before, but I want to know the reasons for it and if there's a way to avoid it.

I keep track of my beardie's behavior in a journal, and her pooping schedule has gotten so unpredictable recently. I would say "normal" for her is pooping every other day, but lately the pattern has been "poop 3 days in a row, no poop day, poop 4 days in a row, no poop for 3 days, etc..." Also she's been running around, glass-surfing, and being generally active/hyper.

My guesses:
1) Getting ready to lay eggs (unlikely). She poops increasingly little for multiple days in a row when she's getting ready to lay, but she also wouldn't eat much. Right now, she's eating ALL of her food AND pooping daily. Also, she just laid 30 eggs a few weeks ago.

2) Eating too much? This is hard to tell, since I've never seen exact measurements for how much a beardie should eat. She's 2 1/2 years old and down to eating 4-6 adult dubias only about once a week. Every day she eats a small serving of collard greens and/or yellow squash. Treats are given in small amounts also only once a week. She seems to get plenty of water from her food, since even her solid stools come out with a lot of water.

3) UVB or temperature trouble? She's healthy-looking and alert and active, so there doesn't appear to be an issue here (her tank temperatures are fine and so was her UVB as of a month ago). But can fluctuations in the heat/lighting cause extra pooping? She's allowed to free roam in our room, which is heated, but outdoor temperatures have been dropping into the freezing range even down here in Texas. Some of it still seeps in.

All of this is a long-winded way of asking "is this ok, or should I be concerned?" The irregular pooping is inconvenient for me, the one who cleans it, but it's more important to know if it's a sign of bad health or not.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I wouldn't worry about it if she is active and seems healthy. You touched on a lot of the possible causes for the change in schedule. When they go through very active phases they tend to go more frequently as well.

PogoSyd

Original Poster
CooperDragon":1tsdc2h8 said:
I wouldn't worry about it if she is active and seems healthy. You touched on a lot of the possible causes for the change in schedule. When they go through very active phases they tend to go more frequently as well.

That could be it. Thanks! If she's this active when it's this cold outside I guess I should be happy anyway. Guess I'll just need to stay alert to save my poor carpet lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthewsalecia2015
Top Bottom