First Time Owner/Dragon Doesn’t Like Being Picked Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nelida

Hello everyone,

I’m looking for advice or just some reassurance.
So my bearded dragon is about to be 5 months. I waited a while before picking him up when he was just 2 months and first got him. I make sure not to go over his head and try to scoop from under in the front. Well, he often runs away now and is so squirmy when I hold him. I make him relax before putting him in his cage but he’s very squirmy now and I feel bad holding him. I do reward him when he does relax. I took him to the play pen and now it’s hard to “capture him” with still coming from the front and not over his head. I was trying to make this a regular thing. However, he escaped once and there are just things on the floor and mouse traps upstairs. I don’t really have a safe place for him to explore or run around except the playpen for now.

It’s very discouraging.

However, he doesn’t mind when my hand is cleaning the tank or when I pet him. He will feed off my hand and put his cute Little two hands on my hand. I just pet him often now instead of picking him up unless he needs a bath for either shedding or has poo on him.

Idk if I should continue to pet him and just offer the chance to sit in my hand within the tank?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yes let him sit on your hand a pet him -- I never took Blaze out till he was almost a year old on the floor to run around -- keep handling him in the tank --- you might let him sit on your chest or hold him up to your chest so he gets used to being held like that - continue to reward him w/ treat worms etc --
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom