Should I let him Brumate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Beardie is just over a year old. He has been very active but not eating much. I let him have free reign in my office while I work. He uses a bath towel as a ladder to climb into and out of his cage as he pleases. Recently he has been running around the office non stop climbing up to his tank and then back down. He will do this until I let him out of the office where he quickly finds the darkest, coldest spot and goes to sleep. I made him a dark area in his tank but he doesn't like to use it and none of the spots in my office seem to be right. My question is should I just allow him to sleep? I have his heat light and UVB on a 12 hour timer should I just turn off the heat and just have the UVB on the timer and see what he does?

81415-6697649942.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would leave his lights on the regular schedule. I don't change mine for brumation and it has worked out OK as long as there is a hide available. You might try setting up a portable basking light in the room so he can go warm up when he's out without having to climb back into the enclosure. The towel ladder is an interesting idea. I would probably keep something thick/soft at the bottom to help protect from a fall or perhaps put a board in place under the towel so it isn't such a steep angle, kind of like you have with the drawers but a little less steep. They're good climbers, but a fall can be pretty harmful to them if they land wrong. Perhaps having a light in the office will help keep him up. As long as he has some options available, I'd let him do what he wants to for the most part and try to accommodate as long as he's in a safe spot.

Dogstar5988

Original Poster
Thank you, yes I do keep a heat lamp on the office floor. He will usually come warm up for a few and then back to zooming around the office. For the longest time he would never climb down himself but he figured it out recently. I will put something soft at the bottom as you suggested in case he does fall. Its surprising how well he climbs. I swear he is getting ripped going up and down, the man has pecs and everything.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Combined with the zooming around, I'm sure he's getting some pretty good exercise! :lol: I'm not sure why he wants out of the office to find a place to sleep, especially if you've imitated the dark cold spots he looks for. Sometimes they just have odd preferences and demands :dontknow:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom