Beardie not moving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I just recently got a bearded dragon after wanting one for a long time, and I want to take care of it the best I can. It might just be because it's only been here for a few hours, but it hasn't really moved much since I put it in its tank. I gave it some food but it didn't seem to eat any of it. Is this concerning or normal?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please go over the lighting in the tank --- UVB brand and bulb coil or tube and where in the tank is it top of screen or inside the tank
Basking temps what are they and how are you taking them? NO stick ons they are inaccurate
How old is the dragon?
Karrie

c4ndyc0rez

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3df46c4d said:
Please go over the lighting in the tank --- UVB brand and bulb coil or tube and where in the tank is it top of screen or inside the tank
Basking temps what are they and how are you taking them? NO stick ons they are inaccurate
How old is the dragon?
Karrie
The UVB light is a coil and it's on top of the screen. I think the temperature might be a bit low on the warm side of the tank- they're in the 80s and I'm working on buying higher wattage lights. I have stick ons but I don't know what else is good for taking the temperature. I'm not sure how old the dragon is exactly but she is a baby.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please get rid of the coil--- they are inadequate and can / will cause health issues --- you need a long tube fixture like this for a 40+ gallon tank https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html 22' bulb
Is your dragon moving at all and eating?
you need this to get actual basking temps these can be bought at your local pet store
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-digital-thermometer.html I would get two one for your cool side of tank and one for your basking side -- it needs to sit on the place where shes basking leave 10 min then take temp --
If you have not ordered or replaced the coil or got the temps correct your dragon will not eat --- please get this fixed ASAP-- basking temps for a baby need to be 105-110 ---
Karrie

c4ndyc0rez

Original Poster
I think the tube is at my local PetSmart, so I'll work on getting that as soon as possible. Same with the thermometers. My dragon is moving around but I haven't seen her eating much at all. Should I get something to check the humidity too or is that not necessary?

c4ndyc0rez

Original Poster
I actually checked my light again- it's not quite a coil but is it still bad to use? I was planning on getting a higher wattage of this kind because the temperature appeared to be too low.
apichxci1__60374.1581525283.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
That is not good -- please get rid of it --- please get what I posted --- in fact you can just shut it off -- its doing more harm than good --- this bulb does not put out heat --- you need a bright white basking bulb that keeps temps 105-110 for your baby -- he will not be able to digest his food and the UVB helps him absorb the calcium he needs for growth and to prevent MBD -- please get this fixed ASAP -- look for something like this for basking https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/environmental-control-and-lighting/exo-terra-intense-basking-spot-light-14809.html?cgid=500202
What size is the tank?
And NO colored bulbs please
Karrie

c4ndyc0rez

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1p2sk6hf said:
That is not good -- please get rid of it --- please get what I posted --- in fact you can just shut it off -- its doing more harm than good --- this bulb does not put out heat --- you need a bright white basking bulb that keeps temps 105-110 for your baby -- he will not be able to digest his food and the UVB helps him absorb the calcium he needs for growth and to prevent MBD -- please get this fixed ASAP -- look for something like this for basking https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/environmental-control-and-lighting/exo-terra-intense-basking-spot-light-14809.html?cgid=500202
What size is the tank?
And NO colored bulbs please
Karrie
The tank is a 40 gallon. I have this basking lightbulb already. Should I get a higher wattage or would this paired with the tube light be enough?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
what wattage is the bulb but you MUST have a digital probe thermometer to get the actual basking temp -- DO NOT change bulbs out w/ out it --- you do not want to burn the baby up ---- UVB's do not put out heat ---- some but its not going to make a difference in the basking side -- if your basking bulb is a 75 watt you can try a 100 but you MUST have the digital probe ---- it is trial and error w/ basking bulbs to get correct temps --- please get those fixed they re the MOST important thing in that tank - they control the behavior and overall health of the dragon
Karrie

c4ndyc0rez

Original Poster
KarrieRee":272igkhb said:
what wattage is the bulb but you MUST have a digital probe thermometer to get the actual basking temp -- DO NOT change bulbs out w/ out it --- you do not want to burn the baby up ---- UVB's do not put out heat ---- some but its not going to make a difference in the basking side -- if your basking bulb is a 75 watt you can try a 100 but you MUST have the digital probe ---- it is trial and error w/ basking bulbs to get correct temps --- please get those fixed they re the MOST important thing in that tank - they control the behavior and overall health of the dragon
Karrie
I got a dual light fixture that came with a UVB and basking bulb- the box says the wattage is 300 combined so they're both 150 watts. So for now I should work on getting the tube light and making sure the basking temperature is good? Is the basking bulb alright or should I get that changed too?

c4ndyc0rez

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1svr0va1 said:
Please shut one of those 150 bulbs off ---- that tank is probably way too hot inside -- please post pics of the tank ASAP
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post
Karrie
image0.jpg

Thank you. My tank looks like this. I know the loose substrate is a bad idea for a young beardie- I'm also making a PetSmart run to get a carpet to replace it.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Get a digital probe thermometer and I cannot see the lights or the tank itself its too dark -- I would replace the substrate w/ some NON adhesive shelf liner from your local home improvement store cut it to the size of the tank --
Karrie

c4ndyc0rez

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2217q213 said:
Get a digital probe thermometer and I cannot see the lights or the tank itself its too dark -- I would replace the substrate w/ some NON adhesive shelf liner from your local home improvement store cut it to the size of the tank --
Karrie
image0.jpg

My beardie is asleep for the night so I didn't want to wake her up by turning the lights on. I used the flash in this image so hopefully this is better.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes that is better --- please shut the coil off and one of the 150 bulbs --- that tank needs 3 temps in it basking 105-110 for a baby --- middle of the tank 90's and cool side 80's during the day and not below 65 at nite -- the ambient temps can be taken w/ your stick ons but basking temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- get the UVB ordered that I posted - do not get a 18" fixture its too small for that tank --- you have options for the T 5 bulb depending on the screen -- if its a wide hole screen it can go into the tank if its a fine mesh like a screen door it will need to go inside the tank -- but please get this fixed ASAP ---
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom