Brumation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zachburnav

Hatchling Member
My beardie is roughly 9 months of age. Is he too young for brumation? If not, I believe he might be showing symptoms. He's completely boycotting his salad, other then for picking out the bell peppers occasionally. I tried lots of things, from holding off on the bugs to trying new salad ingredients. The only thing that kind of worked once was the bugs, but even after that he made me hand feed him and wouldn't touch the salad otherwise. The reason I'm suspecting he's going into brumatuon is because we just had our first snow here (idk maybe he can somehow sense it ? :lol: ) he started napping quite a bit in his warm hide, and because he won't get up in the morning. He opens his eyes, but just won't move. Thoughts?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Lighting ----- what are your using for a UVB ? NO coils please and basking temps- what are they and how are you taking them? NO stick ons they are inaccurate-- you need a digital probe thermometer -- he is pretty young for brumation unless hes a really big dragon like close to 300 grams or over -- we need to rule out lighting and basking temps first before we can actually say its brumation
Karrie

zachburnav

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I just got a new 120 gal about a week ago. I use a 36" Arcadia 12% and a 100w heat bulb. According to my digital thermometer, the ambient temps of the basking spot are around 95-100, and the surface temp measured by a probe thermometer shows 95-105. He is a pretty big guy. He reached his full size of 19" and last time he was measured he was roughly 350g. I haven't fed him bugs all day today to try to lure him to the salad. No interest. Should I give him some bugs or keep at it?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I would keep feeding him his bugs -- he is a big boy so if all is well w/ your lighting and temps then I would say its brumation -- some others on here might have some ideas as well
Karrie

zachburnav

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok, and in the morning if he stays in bed not going to bask, should I move him to the warm spot or at least lure him out of his hide with a bug or something? He won't get out of bed for hours until I scoop him up and take him out. Or should I jist leave him where he is?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I would leave him alone -- mine have been in and out of their hides for a few days at a time -- then one day they will pop out of their hides and go bask -- I would get a weight on him now kitchen food scale weigh in grams and keep track of it -- if hes losing weight like a lot of weight they can lose some but if its alot then there is a issue
Karrie

zachburnav

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The thing is he stays in his hide but he doesn't sleep. He just sits there with his eyes open. Considering he is awake and concious, do I give him his bugs ? I've asked this but not in the same context. If I do he will come out of his hide, so the whole 'sleepy' setting would be ruined.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes feed him if he eats he eats if he doesn't he doesnt-- at least you offered
Karrie

zachburnav

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Oh he will eat it I know for sure. He goes crazy for anything that moves or slightly resembles a bug :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom