Relentless ENERGY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all! It's been awhile since I've posted on here. Cookie has been doing great and she is an absolute delight!

One thing - she's EXTREMELY restless. She's always been pretty active. When I got her, I actually selected her because she was the only one of the group that was running and jumping around.

Her last vet visit was just about 3 months ago, and all was confirmed that she is healthy and her husbandry is spot-on. But she just will NOT stop darting about in her enclosure and she glass surfs constantly. Her colors are nice and light while doing this, leading me to believe that she's not stressed - just.... really hyper.

We just moved into a new house last week, in which I have my own home-office (I work from home every other day). Her tank is kept in my office and during the days that I'm working from home, I let her run about in my office while I'm in here. The bulbs in the ceiling give off a lot of heat and our ceramic tile floors are actually heated as well (underneath my huge area rug), so my office stays nice and warm for her which allows for extended free-roaming periods. She loves it! However, it doesn't seem to calm her down at all. Once I put her back into the tank, it's a short time before she's back at darting around like a maniac.

I guess my question is.... is it possible for a BD to just be super hyper all the time, but still happy?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yep =) I have a hyper one too. I've set him up to be pretty much free roaming all day with basking lamps for him around the house. He does laps back and forth around the house all day and will surf the walls of the house since the human tank is too small for him too :lol:

I'd let he roam around and explore whenever you can, it's good enrichment. If you have a way to set her up near a window sill to look outside, she'll probably love that too.

Moved by moderator from General Discussion to Behavior.

Littlebuddysmomma

Original Poster
I really like the idea of setting them up to free roam whenever! Maybe I will work on getting my office setup so she can just use that whole room as she pleases. I could block off any tight spaces and set up an extra basking light or two, and build a little ramp for her to come in and out of her enclosure. I bet she’d be appreciative. Thank you for the idea!!

I love that idea, I plan to set up my spare bedroom as a free roam once she is bigger, she's a tiny almost 8 week old right now and I'm afraid she would fall through a vent or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom