2 months in brunation, seemingly no will to live

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, My dragon Oscar is about 15 months, 270 grams, adenovirus positive, and a female as it turned out.
I think she had been wanting to bromate for many months. She had a very rock first six months. We didn’t realize she had coccidia until I took a sample to the vet and found out she was riddled with it. So the vet prescribed albon and the other really common one for pin worms, I think 5 days worth. At the time she was about 17-18 weeks old and 65 grams. She didn’t eat for 10 days and seemed quite stressed. Before I took the sample all she wanted to do was hide and sleep, so that’s when I started documenting weight, behavior, eating, etc.
I had to force feed her baby food and acidophilus for a while and after many weeks she started gaining weight and eating on her own but never seemed to enjoy anything didn’t bask for very long, always wants to hide.
Eventually I took her to a reptile vet (no nearby) and got the full work up, her bones were good, she was adenovirus positive and the only irregularity with her blood work was elevated protein. I cannot get her to eat any substantial amount of vegetables.
So October 15 at just over a year old I let her brumate.
I woke her up about a week in to soak her because I thought she still had some poop to get rid of and she did her wiggling to try and get it out, but no luck.
So I put her back, she hid, and a week later I soaked her again and she got it out. I offered her salad, nope, I offered crickets, they just crawled on her.
So I put her back.
I check on her often and a lot of times she opens her eyes and looks at me. But she won’t eat the salad I put in there.
She doesn’t seem to want to live.
Should I let her just keep brumating?
When should I intervene?
And her enclosure is more than adequate, I have been through that a million times back in January.

Thoughts? Advice?

Please and Thank you

OscarLuvBug

Original Poster
Ok, so. After posting this I went to check on her and when I lifted the sheet she was looking at me and seemed pretty alert. So I took her out and weighed her (275 gr)
Gave her a salad which she didn’t go for.
Left her alone, 20 minutes later I check and she’s basking!
I found 1 lone surviving cricket after weeks (crazy) and she went after it.
So, went to the store, got crickets and super worms
She ate about 16 Cruz with herptivite and 5 super worms!
Yay
1 more thing, her toe nails? are quite long, almost a problem.
Any pointers on trimming them?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It sounds like fairly typical brumation behavior. It's good that she is alert and basked a bit. She may stay up or may sleep a bit more. It's a good sign that her weight has remained stable. That is another indicator of successful brumation. This behavior is more about being sleepy and slowing their systems to survive winter. They kind of act groggy like they've eaten a sleeping pill. As far as her nails go, if they are just a little bit sharp, you can file them a little with an emery board. If there are sharp tips then you can cut them just at the sharp edge with a pair of toenail clippers. Putting down a ceramic tile or a rough(ish) stone for basking can help keep them trimmed a bit too.

OscarLuvBug

Original Poster
I have two cave hides and drift wood, she just doesn’t get her steps in. She’s a master of sitting still.
Is the kind of cuticle looking stuff that runs along the back side of the nail ok to trim, I mean just if I trim the ends.
It seems like they are starting to grow at weird angles and I’ve been concerned with gout because of her elevated protein and refusing to eat her veggies.

Thanks for responding

-Kelly

106928-5224728314.jpg
106928-4526450820.jpg
106928-6508402508.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You don't want to trim the white bit further up, just the sharp little bit at the end. As long as the end is kept in check they shouldn't grow too much. If the thicker part of the nail starts to curl or grow into itself then a vet should probably take a look at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom