Trying to get out of tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moorefamily

109958-579846423.jpg
109958-7547860369.jpg

Hi - first time reptile owner here. Our beardie is about 11 months. Eats dubias, phoenix worms, super worms, and dandelion greens and kale. For the past week or so, he has been running around the tank frantically quite often. He tries to climb up and grab at his UVB reflector again and again (inside mount), other times running to the front corners like he's trying to get out. Once he's out, he seems happy to be exploring.

He's been refusing his Dubias, but loves the worms and greens. Pooping almost daily which is unusual for him but I attributed to him eating more greens lately. Temperatures are 97F at warm end, 82 at cool. Have UVB T5H0 22 inch bulb which covers 2/3 of tank, added another UVB single bulb to cover the far end. 150W basking bulb at warm end. So I think the tank should be ok? UVB is about 5 months old.

He seems so frantic and unhappy though and not sure what else could be wrong. We did move him from my son's room to our family room so we could be around him more, but this was about two weeks ago and he definitely seemed very content at first.

Any thoughts much appreciated!!!
Tracy

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would look at upgrading your tank -- single UVB bulb is that a coil? If so get rid of it please-- this could be one reason for the wanting to get out - your T 5 is plenty for UVB - he needs to be able to sit directly under it - I cant see it in the pic so it must be mounted in the tank make sure your distance is 12-15 inches from it -- its great hes w / people now too -- they like to see whats going on -- take the second UVB out and see if his behavior changes again --- but I am also thinking the tank is too small --
Karrie

moorefamily

Original Poster
KarrieRee":f4x2jb3b said:
I would look at upgrading your tank -- single UVB bulb is that a coil? If so get rid of it please-- this could be one reason for the wanting to get out - your T 5 is plenty for UVB - he needs to be able to sit directly under it - I cant see it in the pic so it must be mounted in the tank make sure your distance is 12-15 inches from it -- its great hes w / people now too -- they like to see whats going on -- take the second UVB out and see if his behavior changes again --- but I am also thinking the tank is too small --
Karrie

Thank you. UVB tube is right under the lid, prob 10-12" from his hammock. Yes - that other one is a coil, I just turned it off, will see if that helps. We had added that a few months ago when he was always hiding in his cave and I thought he might he trying to brumate. I was starting to wonder if he might be outgrowing his tank... it's 40 gallon but I guess we will need to upgrade that soon too probably.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes did the behavior start right after the coil was added? I would look at getting him into a bigger tank - you can look for used or new its up to you --- craigslist and FB marketplace - I would look for a 75-120 gallon one w/ front doors or there are places we can post for new tanks as well --- keep us posted on his behavior and see what he does w/ the coil off -- also the UVB should be 12" or higher for the T 5 -- lower your hammock some more and see what he does -- the T 5's tend to be pretty strong ---
Karrie

moorefamily

Original Poster
No, the coil has been there for at least two months, the behavior change is over the past week or two. I can definitely lower the hammock... although that’s a recent switch too. His rock was on previously on that side but it seemed too close to the light so I switched the two.

Really appreciate your insight!

moorefamily

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3g3ftq9k said:
Yes did the behavior start right after the coil was added? I would look at getting him into a bigger tank - you can look for used or new its up to you --- craigslist and FB marketplace - I would look for a 75-120 gallon one w/ front doors or there are places we can post for new tanks as well --- keep us posted on his behavior and see what he does w/ the coil off -- also the UVB should be 12" or higher for the T 5 -- lower your hammock some more and see what he does -- the T 5's tend to be pretty strong ---
Karrie

So coil has been off for two days. I replaced the T5 just in case the other one was getting old (only 5months though). Hammock is 10+ inches away. He is as frantic as before. But seems so happy once he is out and about. Loves to sit in front of the back door in the sun or go exploring. Even scratching at the glass to go outside. Is it possible he just wants to be out and about with us? I didn't realize beardies were that social! Before, he was just in my son's room and we would visit often but now he's in the middle of everyone all day long.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I would move that hammock if its under the UVB to about 12" --- those bulbs are strong and it may be too close for 10" recommended height for a T5 is 12-15 inches -- I dont know if that is whats causing the frantic behavior but it could be he is wanting the company and liking the socializing but usually they are content going back into the tank if they have been out for awhile --- so try the distance w/ the UVB see if that makes a difference - its trial and error to find cause -- and work upgrading the tank it looks too small in the pics
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom