Baby dragon jumping at glass

Status
Not open for further replies.

polibe

Hello!
My beardie is 2 month old (bought him 1,5 months ago).
Terrarium size is 90x45x45 with UV and heat lamp. Warm-up point up to 42C.
It feeds on crickets, salad, mealworms.
Supplements: calcium daily, vitamins once a week.
Problem: jumps into the glass. Of course, he spends most of time under the lamp in a relaxed mode (he is really calm), but sometimes he likes to run around to explore the terrarium and can bump into glass (for example when runs or jump from a stone into the background or from the stick).
Can he break his nose? How to solve the problem? Do they stop getting so mad when they get older?
Thanks!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Your tank looks nice --- first what substrate are you using? What UVB are you using T 8 or a T 5 bulb and does the UVB have a reflector ? I would move the UVB so its directly over him --- he is going to benefit better from it being over head rather on the back wall --- it is normal for them to jump at that age -- they think they can fly so its best to let him acclimate to his tank and surroundings first before getting him out ---hes pretty little -- I would lay some of the decor down so he cant jump so high off of it -- are you getting only basking temps w/ the stick on or do you have a digital probe thermometer? If you do not I recommend you get one -- the stick ons are inaccurate for basking temps-- he needs them to be 105-110 take w/ that digital probe and it needs to be placed on the spot where he bask
Karrie

polibe

Original Poster
KarrieRee":12m8hlwf said:
Your tank looks nice --- first what substrate are you using? What UVB are you using T 8 or a T 5 bulb and does the UVB have a reflector ? I would move the UVB so its directly over him --- he is going to benefit better from it being over head rather on the back wall --- it is normal for them to jump at that age -- they think they can fly so its best to let him acclimate to his tank and surroundings first before getting him out ---hes pretty little -- I would lay some of the decor down so he cant jump so high off of it -- are you getting only basking temps w/ the stick on or do you have a digital probe thermometer? If you do not I recommend you get one -- the stick ons are inaccurate for basking temps-- he needs them to be 105-110 take w/ that digital probe and it needs to be placed on the spot where he bask
Karrie
Hi! Corn substrate. This is a T8 lamp) I can move a lamp to the center of a tank top, sure)
Thermometer has a digital probe and it fixed on the warming spot.

I laid a stick down, but he's running on the bottom and still bumping to the glass. I am sure he's very curious and tries to explore all my room) And he's sooo jumpy)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
For a T 8 it needs to be 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor and it MUST have a reflector so the UVB rays are shining downward on him ---
The little guy is curious ---- I would change out the substrate tho --- I would put in some textured NON adhesive shelf liner cut to the size of the tank any insects being fed in the tank especially crickets left in there is not good --- they will not be able to get under the shelf liner ---
Karrie

polibe

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3vswr9jg said:
For a T 8 it needs to be 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor and it MUST have a reflector so the UVB rays are shining downward on him ---
The little guy is curious ---- I would change out the substrate tho --- I would put in some textured NON adhesive shelf liner cut to the size of the tank any insects being fed in the tank especially crickets left in there is not good --- they will not be able to get under the shelf liner ---
Karrie

Thank you very much for your recommendations!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom