Ready To Start Taming

Status
Not open for further replies.

KamataKun

Today is our one-week anniversary of my getting my little beardie, Ichi. He's 3 months old.

He doesn't run and hide from me anymore, and I give him water from a syringe every day. I can move stuff around in his tank and he watches. I can drop food for him from tongs (he attempted to eat from my tongs just once, but completely missed lol), and when I give him food in his bowl, he pounces onto the bowl all eager to eat! But he's nervous when I get TOO close, y'know? If I'm not holding the water-syringe, he leans away, takes a step back, and stares at my hand. I was told by the breeder that he was handled every other day during tank cleans, so I think there's a foundation to work with. Just, since this my first beardie, I dunno how to build it from here. The idea of picking him up makes me a wee bit nervous, to be honest, as I feel that'll make him bolt and I don't want to ruin what trust we have now.

What is the best approach to start the taming process for this little baby?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hand feeding -- hold the worm like a BSFL or a small super worm or butter worm - something that will get his attention -- put a piece of clothing or fleece blanket in his hide so he gets used to your smell - approach from the side not over head he will think your a predator -- your hands in his tank as much as you can and it sounds like your already doing that --
Karrie

KamataKun

Original Poster
He let me pet his beard! I was giving him water and when he moved his head away (his signal that he's done drinking), I took the chance and touched his beard to wipe off a droplet of water. It's the first time I've touched him since I got him! I only touched him for a few seconds before I backed off and let him get ready for bed.

I'm so happy! I hope tomorrow to be able to pet him more and maybe even pick him up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom