Is there a Pre-Brumation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlapJack16

Hatchling Member
Hi,beginner scared beardie owner here,
I was wondering if there was such a thing as "Pre-Brumation."
I just read the Brumation article here on BD.com, and the behaviors seemed a little intense for what I am seeing.
My beardie (14mo) is eating a bit less insects, maybe 60 to 70% of his normal intake, and 20% of his normal overall interest.
He is using the restroom every other week
He is not touching his veggies at all- which isn't a huge change TBH
He half hides? He kinda hides under his half log basking spot, but I don't think he naps. I don't have anything for him to hide under at all. He has a couch and some precariously stacked wood.

He definitely isn't sleeping except for at night.
He still does his behavior where he looks out the glass and puts his hands on there.
He is very dark. but he usually doesn't have dark stress marks

Could he not be brumating, and instead have parasites?

Is he going to brumate?
Help!
Thanks

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Your dragon needs a hide please get him one--- they can do the half brumation thing now - being more lazy not eating as much as it is the time of year for brumation -- pooping will slow down as well -- it is normal for them not to go poop for long periods of time -- keep him hydrated w/ him not eating his salads they get most of the moisture from that -- make sure your insects are gut loaded -- carrots are a good hydrator for that plus good food --- if your feeding dubias dubia food is good -- I use dubias and for some reason mine will not eat the greens I put in the tank for them so I switched to dubia food they will eat squash but will not touch the greens -- keep track of his weight kitchen food scale weigh in grams --- as long as hes basking eating and pooping and active or at least some what active hes fine- but I would get him a hide
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The reptile den is good --how big is the tank? I have one similar to that one and have it placed under the UVB my tank is a 4x2x2-- Blaze uses it alot for basking on top and sleeping in it -- he does have two hides one is a platform hide from Petsmart https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/habitats-and-decor/habitat-decor/thrive-rainforest-cave-reptile-decor-55905.html?cgid=500116
Have you tried using BSFL to lure him to the salad bowl? -- does he drink from the bath water --- you can always drop water on his nose to see if he will drink or lick --
Karrie

FlapJack16

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hey, thanks for the quick reply!

I have tried BSFL for him, thy are so small they don't register. Or he's just got attitude.
When he is in the bath. he does not drink water.
He does not lick drops off his nose.
I have heard though, that they retain water through their vent in baths?

If I cannot get him to do anything hydration wise during these next few months, I have some clean syringes from other animal things- would it be a bad idea to give him a bit of water orally every couple of weeks? Maybe just half a small syringe every two weeks. I think that is better than dehydration.. but i'm not sure if it's alright.

I will also try to get him to eat a few roaches here and there. If not, I will maintain a weekly weigh in- and it will be a chance for my roaches to become adults and start a colony? I guess?

What am I supposed to do about calcium, multivitamin, heating, and UVB light now???
I'm getting a bit worried,
Thanks

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Continue to offer salads what size BSFL are you feeding? He need large ones --- the insects continue to dust them alternating between the vitamins and the Calcium -- dragons do not get water from the vent - dragons will drink when they are thirsty- you can give them water via syringe but do it very slowly so he does not aspirate -- you can tell that they are dehydrated by looking at their poop -- the poop needs to be formed moist and dark -- the urate white formed and moist not chalky or dried out looking
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom