Are Some Beardies Untamable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaun78

Hatchling Member
Need the community help. Every time I think I'm making headway with this guy we seem to take 2 steps back. So yesterday he's in his tank and starts glass surfing (please take a look at the video):
https://youtu.be/d9OtLMsBP9k

So I took him him out and sat on the floor with him. He stayed right there and was content for 30mins. Well my legs started getting numb so I got up and sat on the bed with him. Bam he takes off and run straight for the edge. The bed is pretty high up so I got in front of him so he wouldn't jump off. I scooped him up and he tail whips and tries to bite me. I got him back into the tank and he does this:
107595-710863970.jpg
Now usually if I talk to him and pet him he calms right down but this time as soon as I put my hand in to pet him he jumps up and bites my hand. Yeah he actually leaped up and got me. I'm at a loss. I'm not going to give up on him and I have no idea what his treatment with the previous owner was like but I'm at a loss with how to proceed. The strange thing is once it's dark out and I take him out he climbs right up under my chin and goes to sleep.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It can take many months for a dragon who isn't used to good treatment to settle down. This varies due to their different personalities as well. Try to be patient with him and keep showing care and he will come around at least to an extent. In the video it looks like he just wants out to run around and explore. Maybe giving him a room to run around in with a basking lamp set up somewhere for him to return to and warm up would be useful. It's also possible that his behavior is more aggressive than normal due to hormones. Their energy levels and behavior tends to be cyclical and seasonal. My guy has a ton of energy and runs all over the house like a madman after he comes out of brumation.

Shaun78

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So we tried it again on Sunday. He was getting real antsy in his tank glass surfing and all. I blocked off where I'm still cleaning out this room (which didn't work because this guy can climb everything apparently). Anyway I set him loose and sat on the floor with him. He was defensive at first as he bared the teeth at me when I went to pet him so I got up and just let him be. 4 hours later when I went to bring him back to his tank he was calm and let me pick him up without incident. Maybe just need to gave him his space and burn energy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom