Not basking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maddy5150

Hatchling Member
Hi everyone! I need some advice as to what's been happening with my beardie. Ziggy is 10 months almost 11 and she's really not basking at all she does in the morning a little then she hangs in the middle or end of the tank. Shes still eating great and is active when out of the tank or sees bugs. I'm just confused as to why she won't bask. Thank you!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What are your basking temps and how are you taking them? No stick ons-- they are inaccurate - what are you using for a UVB? Coil or tube and where in the tank is it?
Karrie

Maddy5150

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":3fstuuo1 said:
What are your basking temps and how are you taking them? No stick ons-- they are inaccurate - what are you using for a UVB? Coil or tube and where in the tank is it?
Karrie
My basking temps have been pretty high recently because we have no ac at my house so the temps have ranged from 100 to 110 and I have a prob thermometer

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so that temp maybe too hot one cause what about UVB?
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
And the brand? I am thinking your tank is too hot for him --as they get older they dont like it as hot so I would try lowering your basking temps to 95-105 and see if that helps-- its good to offer a heat gradient for them -- a piece of decor that offers different temps for them to bask ---
Karrie

Maddy5150

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":15duo2aj said:
And the brand? I am thinking your tank is too hot for him --as they get older they dont like it as hot so I would try lowering your basking temps to 95-105 and see if that helps-- its good to offer a heat gradient for them -- a piece of decor that offers different temps for them to bask ---
Karrie
Its Evergreen pet brand. I have hides for her an a hammock and that's where she is currently

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Not sure about that brand --- I have heard Solar Glo and Mega Ray are really good MVB's --- I do have someone that might know more about tho I am gonna have them way in on the subject and see what they think
Karrie

Maddy5150

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":2fxsb0gl said:
Not sure about that brand --- I have heard Solar Glo and Mega Ray are really good MVB's --- I do have someone that might know more about tho I am gonna have them way in on the subject and see what they think
Karrie
Awesome thank you so much!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I've seen people mention evergreen brand on here a few times but don't know much about them. I don't have test results to know what the output looks like. It's possible that there are quality control issues so it may be best to stick with well known brands like the Arcadia or ZooMed (PowerSun) MVBs. You could also switch to a T5 Arcadia bulb for UVB and use a separate halogen bulb for heat. There are several good options, but it's almost always worthwhile to invest in the highest quality brands for UVB lighting.

You could try swapping the bulb out temporarily and replace it with a plain halogen bulb for heat and see how she reacts. That will help show if she is avoiding the MVB or not. It could also just be that she doesn't feel like basking. If her appetite and behavior are otherwise normal, she may be OK and just not in a basking mood which happens from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom