Puffing out beard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
107958-2014767756.jpg
107958-2713514967.jpg
Hi everyone. My beardie rasputin has recently been puffing up his beard and sticking it out for long periods of time and I just did not know if this is usual for young male bearded dragons. My other dragon Zym does not do any of this. Instead, Zym trashes her tail around. I will upload a pic of what Rasputin does. It usually goes on for almost 5 minutes of pushing it out and deflating it and pushing it back out again. Why?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Is he doing this in the morning? This would be called the morning stretch and it is normal - it could also be hes getting ready to shed his beard--- they all do it -- the sand I would get rid of it can cause impaction and it harbors bacteria
DO NOT use sand, shavings or any other loose substrate for baby to juvenile beardies. They can be very clumsy eaters and they are also very curious and like to taste everything. Any kind of loose substrate holds serious health risks to your Beardie. If they eat a loose substrate they can become impacted, which is a blocking of the intestines, and die.
Crushed walnut shell is dangerous and should only be used to clean up oil spills. This substrate is NOT digestable and if too much of it is eaten it will cause impaction. I have seen this occur first hand with reptiles ranging from lizards to tortoises. Stay away from this product please.
I would get some paper towels in there for now and look into getting some textured NON adhesive shelf liner from Home Depot or some slated ceramic tile w/ texture NO corse if your tank is the permanent one meaning your not going to upgrade ---
Karrie

Wolfverliebt

Original Poster
Thank you! Also I will definitely get the sand out of there as soon as possible. I did not realize any of that could happen, I was just told at the place I adopted him from to use the sand. I will hop right onto that. Thank you so much once again. ☺️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom