My baby beardie waved at me ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

trinityy

I got a baby bearded dragon 3 days ago and earlier this morning it slowly bobbed it’s head twice to me and then a few minutes ago , it waved its hand slowly at me. What does this mean ? I’ve never owned a bearded dragon before so if it is bad or anything is wrong or if there’s any other information that you need to know , please let me know ! Thank you ! :)

trinityy

Original Poster
*clarification* I’m confused about this mainly because some people say this is a good sign / a sign of submission ? but then others say that it is a sign of submission but it’s bad because they fear me even more ? so I’m extremely confused but until then , I’m going to keep trying to hand feed my baby beardie her food , I give her cuddles and pet her and let her fall asleep in my hands but only at nighttime when she is kind of tired bc when she’s sleepy , she lets me pet her and hold her and give her affection but when she’s wide awake throughout the day , she still seems a bit spooked when I put my hand near her. I can put my hand in her tank , clean her poop , switch out her water dish , and switch out her food dish without her running or jumping but the second I put my hand closer to her or get near her , she seems a bit scared so I back away and give her some space. Also , I’ve only had her for 3 days. But yes , sorry if I went off topic a little , I just decided to say the things that I’m doing to try to bond with her a little and still am confused what the slow head bobbing and hand waving means

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
If you've only had her for three days, your baby is likely going through relocation stress. This is perfectly normal, as she needs to get used to her new environment. As much as it's hard NOT to handle your baby at first - we all want to give plenty of cuddles and reassurances - it might be good to go "hands off" for a few days to a week to let her settle in well and good in her new tank. After she's settled into the routine, you can resume the handling you've started... in the evening is good. You can also continue to hand feed her, which is an excellent way to bond.

Don't be distressed that the little one runs from you when she's wide awake. Almost all babies go through that "ohmygodshe'sgonnaeatme" phase - and remember how very large you are to her! You just need to take it slow and easy, let her get used to the sound of your voice and your scent - two of the main ways your dragon will recognize you - and wait for her to grow up and settle down (you didn't say how old she was, but this could take some months). It sounds like you're off to a good start. Just remember to try to come at her from the side or front, not from above - that WOULD freak her out, as that's the direction a predator would come at her, and fear of things descending from above is hardwired into beardies.

Slow hand waving is fine. It's a submissive gesture, but doesn't mean she's scared of you. Rapid head-bobbing is dominance - trying to show another dragon who's boss. I've never seen a slow head bob, so I'll let someone else comment on that.

You'll probably be a bit stressed yourself as you and your dragon get accustomed to one another! This is an excellent forum for getting that stress resolved, as the folks here are very knowledgeable and happy to help. Take things day by day, and enjoy your new baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mangobango4
Top Bottom