opinion / advice needed - always in bed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RastaDragon

hi there,

just wanted to ask about something.

my little Boggle will be 9 months old next week, and over the past few weeks or so he has started going to bed VERY early most days.

his lights come on at 08.45 and go out at 20.00

each morning he gets up fine, we watch Days of Our Lives and have breakfast together and i open his door and he pretty much has the freedom of the lounge (he also likes to explore the hallway and bedroom but the kitchen and bathroom are out of bounds).

he wanders round, climbs stuff, jumps off stuff, poops on stuff and sits up at his window and keeps an eye on the garden.

his food preference has changed slightly in that he prefers his greens to live food, but every day he eats his greens and has a few dubias and locusts.

all this is great - except that after he takes himself back home after exploring he sits on his basking spot for a bit then goes to bed - sometimes only 2 or 3 hours after he got up?

you know those 3D foam backgrounds - well basically that is his bed, he sleeps up on top of it.

he doesn't actually sleep tho - he goes up there, lays himself out and just lays there looking out.

most days i have to "bribe" him to get out of bed in the afternoon by giving him lunch.

i don't know if i should be worried about anything or if i am making myself worry about nothing?

thanks everyone!

RastaDragon

Original Poster
this is Boggle right now:

106470-6685696388.jpg

this is quite typical, he will either be laying like this or facing the other way looking out into his background picture.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What are you using for a UVB? Brand and bulb coil or tube and where in the tank is it? Basking temps what are they are how are you taking them? it could be just him getting ready for brumation but we should go over that lighting - how old is the UVB ? Is he losing weight?
Karrie

RastaDragon

Original Poster
hi, thanks for replying.

we have made a couple of minor adjustments to his house and our routine and i think i feel happier now.

i cut a larger section out of the wall that he sleeps on, so where he lays himself out is a bit lower but its bigger and flatter - except for a bit at one end which is still tall which he seems to like to cling onto. i'll post a picture next time he does it, it sort of looks like when king kong is hanging off the side of the empire state building!

i also cut a section out of the bottom of the wall so it forms a little cave type thing, and he looked pretty pleased with himself the first time he discovered that.

but the main thing is - when he went to bed early in the day, i left him for a while like usual but then after a bit i picked him up and un-hooked him from his wall and took him out.

i was very reluctant to do this as i really didn't want to do anything to upset him - but he didn't care at all.

i have tried this three times now, and each time he has been happy for me to pick him up and we have had a cuddle on the sofa and he has been off wandering about until much later in the evening - right now he is sat on his bridge instead of being in bed which is great!

the only weird thing is - the three times i have done this, he has ended up sleeping downstairs in a corner under his carpet (kitchen paper) so i only hope that i haven't caused some sort of psychological trauma now associated with his bed!

i do, however, have another question i need to ask about his tail but i'll start a new post for that.

thank you :D

as i write this he has just jumped up to his bed! so hopefully all ok :D

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What are you using for a UVB? Brand and bulb coil or tube and where in the tank is it? Basking temps what are they are how are you taking them? it could be just him getting ready for brumation but we should go over that lighting - how old is the UVB ? Is he losing weight?
What is at the top of the platform thing hes on? Where is the lighting? Please post a pic of the tank and lighting
Karrie

RastaDragon

Original Poster
hi,

his house is 48 x 18 x 18
UVB is Arcadia T5 12% with reflector
Heat is from an Exo Terra 75w
Basking spot = 109 using probe thermometer
there is nothing at the top of the wall, its just the wall, he just likes to be up there but its plenty wide enough to support him

this is his house:
106470-6739016846.jpg

and this is looking from the inside from one end:
106470-7485044072.jpg

thank you!
RD

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so it looks like he cannot get directly under that UVB and this is a problem--- he needs to be able to sit directly under the UVB approx 12-15 inches from it - this is why he is trying to get to the top of that tank --- he need to be able to sit directly under the UVB -- I would move it away from the front and place towards the front or middle of the tank - you want him to be able to sit directly under the UVB w/ out having to hide from it too --
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LittleSofa
Top Bottom