New Beardie Won't Eat And Sleeps all Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I got my beardie about four days ago. He sleeps most of the time and often goes a few hours without moving at all. He hasn't eaten in two days and I am getting concerned because he is only about a month old. I put a new heat lamp in today which brought his temp up to about 105 so I am hoping that will help, but he seems to have zero interest in the crickets and kale that I give him. Also, after I put in his new heat lamp he started laying on the floor of his tank in the open rather than his basking area where he has been spending most of his time.
If you know what is going on with him please help me out! I am a first time reptile owner.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please tell us brand and bulb of the UVB-- tube or coil and where in the tank is it? No coils they are inadequate- size of tank--- how are you taking basking temps? No stickons they are inaccurate-- you need a digital probe thermometer - he will go thru relocation stress- but he should be basking and eating even a little
Karrie

kjworley19

Original Poster
It is a reptisun 10uvb. I don’t know if it’s a coil or not but it’s in a dome lamp resting on the screen cover right above his basking spot. I have stick on thermometers but I am going to try and get a digital one tomorrow after work. I’m getting really worried. He has still eaten nothing and has been lying completely still in his food dish for several hours.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
That is not good-- post a pic of him please - use the image uploader at the top of the page and then click on the XIMG at the top of the message box click on the pic and it should post--- where did you get him from - you need to make sure hes hydrated- drop.water on his nose see if he will drink -- what size tank ? You have a coil -- you need to get rid of it--- you need to get a 24" fixture w/ a reflector-- for a 40+ gallon tank - and a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb ASAP---- he's going thru relocation stress- so it's not uncommon for them not to eat a lot but he should be eating something-- but you need to get your basking temps 105-110-- taken w/ that probe -- temps in the tank should be 105-110 basking middle of tank 90's and cool side during the day 80's-- nite time dark and cool not below 65

Karrie

kjworley19

Original Poster
108871-9617792218.jpg
He is in a ten gallon tank. I got him from a local reptile store called fish pros that has a good reputation. I will replace his bulb as soon as I can.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He does not look well -- you need to get him under his basking light and he needs some good UVB which means you need to get him outside for direct sunlight / partial shade - if hes not moving much have him sit on you for as long as you can stand the heat - 15 minutes in the sun will equal out to about 4 hrs of UVB - you need to get some food into him ASAP- mix up some greens like collard turnip mustard a little squash and some insects into a slurry w/ water and a pinch of calcium feed VERY SLOWLY out of a syringe -- go into the side of his mouth and feed slowly so he does not aspirate -- feed him 1/2 ML 3 times per day -- I am not sure about him he looks very bad off -- the 10 gallon tank will serve as a hospital tank but you need to get a GOOD UVB on him --- the coil is not going to do it- and beings hes in a 10 gallon tank the ZooMed 24" fixture will come w/ a Reptisun 5.0 bulb which will be good for that 10 gallon tank - https://www.reptilesupplyco.com/wholesale-reptile-hoods-domes-fixtures/1884-reptisun-terrarium-hood-t5-24-zoo-med.html
Karrie

kjworley19

Original Poster
I will be doing all of those things around lunch time, thank you. Some new behavior, I tried to place him on his basking rock this morning and he freaked out. He started running around, twitching his head and glass surfing a little. We think he may have eaten a cricket during this time but we are not sure yet.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Do not leave crickets in the tank over nite -- they come out and bite and can cause infection-- but you need to keep him hydrated and get some food into him -- but you need to start out w/ correct basking temps of 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer and a good UVB ---- the twitching of the head has me concerned
Karrie

kjworley19

Original Poster
Should I be taking him to a vet? If he is really sick I don't think I'm qualified to care for him since I've been a beardie owner for less than a week. I really don't want him to die

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
A lot of people get thrown into situations buying sick dragons- you can take him to a vet but you can try getting him healthy first -- proper lighting and basking temps will start ---- if he is really sick beyond your control and he is really sick which sometimes happens then thats just the way it is --- but we can try and see what we can do w/ getting his environment the way its supposed to be --- if you take him in he is too little for them to do blood work on him -- so I would start w/ your lighting and I want you to watch him for these signs --- star gazing -- head twitching or other parts of him twitching- he needs to act like a normal dragon w/ proper lighting which would be active basking eating and pooping ---- here is a website for future reference if you need a vet http://www.arav.org
it is up to you as to what you want to do -- I would start w/ your lighting in the tank --- and since you have a 10 gallon tank I want you to get a Reptisun 5.0 bulb if the fixture you get does not come w/ it --- the 10.0 bulb is going to be too strong for the 10 gallon tank - then I will help you get it set up over him --Zoo Med fixtures usually come w/ the 5.0 bulb --
Karrie

kjworley19

Original Poster
He’s currently at the reptile place where I got him and they’re trying to save him. I’m calling later today to see how he is doing.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Oh dear I hope he makes it --- in the meantime I recommend you upgrade all your equipment if your going to keep him or get another one-- a 40 gallon tank is the minimum for a dragon - and I recommend getting your 24" w/ reflector fixture for your lighting as well -- please keep us posted
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom