Not interested in Eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fayster

Original Poster
Happy New Year Karrie,

I hope all is well. We finally moved Basil into his new 120 gallon terrarium. I am attaching some images . I want to make sure that everything looks ok to you as far as lighting etc. Also his eating has nor really improved. My daughter has to manually feed his veggies and according to the vet we decreased his protein to three time a week. He gets veggies every day. As far as protein the only thing he likes to eat are superworms. He stopped eating the dubias, hornworms and silkworms. His poop has been a little runny lately...not sure if it's too many veggies...
108809-8773858738.jpg
108809-7402583528.jpg
108809-8600464058.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The tank looks good --- your UVB is approx how far from the basking decor? Is it further than 15 inches? How are you taking basking temps? I am only seeing the stick on -- I would recommend getting a digital probe if you dont have one - also I would recommend getting Basil a different piece of decor for basking so it gives him different heat temps for basking something like this https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/habitats-and-decor/habitat-decor/thrive-driftwood-reptile-decor-54734.html?cgid=500116 this piece is great for different gradients you can set it different ways in the tank so they can sit on lay on lay against or stand against it -- have you tried crickets? Also the salads your feeding are you feeding stuff that has a lot of water content? Like squash peppers red or green?
Karrie

Fayster

Original Poster
Hi Karrie,
The UVB is about 14 inches from the basking decor. I will get a digital probe but we do have the gun in the mean time and check the temps throughout the day. I'll definitely look into getting the basking decor you recommended. We gace up on crickets a while back because he stopped eating them..maybe we can try them again. As far as the veggies-my daughter usually gives him something green like red beet greens, kale , dandelion greens..then some red or yellow pepper, butternut squash and/or apple. She gives him a bath every three/four days...do you think its too many veggies?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No on the veggies -- here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
I would lay off the peppers its going to give them watery stools --- more greens would be good -- shedding will cause them to lose appetite as well -- you can try crickets again but I would only get a few to see if he will eat them -- winter tends to slow the appetites as well - if hes eating something basking and pooping he is good --- lay off the peppers and see if that clears up the runniness if it doesnt then it could be parasites but lets try the diet thing first
Karrie

Fayster

Original Poster
Hi Karrie,

I hope all is well. We ended up testing Basil's poop do be on the safe side and they found no parasites. Basil is still not really eating. He is actually not even going for any sort of bugs either. Could it simply be winter time and that's what happens. He did have another poop two days ago. I am attaching a photo. There is still a lot of liquids. We stopped the peppers. At this point it's just greens, butternut squash and maybe apple. He won't eat on his own. it's whatever my daughter is able to get into his mouth.
108809-8197977738.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please lay off the butternut squash as well -- just go w/ greens turnip collard mustard and kale- what insects are you trying to get her to eat?

Fayster

Original Poster
Tried dubias.. not really interested..was eating the superworms..ordered more but has only eaten 1 or 2..not the way he was eating them. Have tried other types of worms but no luck.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so dragons will slow down on their eating in the winter- keep offering his food but keep track of his weight- kitchen food scale weigh in grams-- I would call your vet and take a fecal in to them NO ENEMAS---- have a parasite test done- too many parasites will cause them not to eat--

Fayster

Original Poster
We already took a fecal.sample in and it was negative for parasites. Ok.. we'll continue giving him his greens and protein..is the excess liquid from the veggies.. should we refrain also from baths? At this point he is 369grams..a couple of weeks ago he was 390 but that was before he pooped..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom