My bearded dragon is acting different all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cece

I got my bearded dragon on June 3, and he still isn’t used to me, his beard is almost always at least grey if not black but he never runs from us and he closes his eyes when I hold him but I heard that’s a sign he wants me to stop. Some days he basks and doesn’t do anything else but other days he just runs around nonstop so I’ll take him out and he will just stand there and not move. I’m nervous as this is my first bearded dragon. He also gulps when I pet him but I don’t notice him gulping any other time.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
He needs to settle in --- I would not quit handle him so much -- try hand feeding worms or veggies -- here is a website for nutrition https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder -- can you please post pics of the tank and lighting so we can see why hes not basking like he should http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html click on XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post let page refresh to see if pics posted
PLease tell us what your using for a UVB brand and bulb coil or tube where in the tank inside the tank or on top of screen -- basking temps what are they and how are you taking them? NO stick ons they are inaccurate and what size is the tank
Karrie

Cece

Original Poster
108612-5527770314.jpg

It’s a 55 gallon tank, with a zoo med terrarium hood with an Arcadia D3 UVB/UVA tube. It lays across the whole top of the tank and he has a zoo med basking bulb. His hot side of the tank is around 90 Fahrenheit and the basking spot is around 95 to 100 degrees Fahrenheit his warm side is around 80 and at night he is usually around 70 in the morning before I turn on the lights. I’m using a temp gun for those temperatures. I have a very well planned out diet plan cause he’s very picky and refuses to eat greens.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You have a good set up the UVB hes able to get under it approx 6-8 inches from it? I will say tho his tank looks to small for him --- do you let him out often to run like say 2 hrs? Place him on the back of a chair in your LR in front of the window --- they love to look outside --- I would say he needs more floor space he looks cramped - I would look at upgrading the tank to a bigger one - as far as him acting different not sure what the issue would be - hes got good lighting and basking temps -- normal for them and the greens thing --- some will love them and eat as much as you give them and some of them wont touch them -- you might try adding some worms to the salad to get him to that food bowl - you will need a glass or ceramic bowl for that --- you can try getting him some super worms butter worms horn worms and silk worms -- feed them w/ his salad -- only add a couple of them to the salad bowl -- if you need websites I can post some for you -- the gulping thing could be him burping --
Karrie

Cece

Original Poster
Thanks for all the help! Yeah I take him outside in the yard if it’s warm enough and when we’re watching tv or even sitting at the table we take him out and he either sits there or runs around, he’s out for approximately 3 hours per day. He’s getting better with eating greens, he eats a lot more if I mix it with butternut squash! Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zazzep
Top Bottom