3 month old bearded dragon won’t let us get near him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erincius

Hi we have had our bearded dragon for over a month now and he is 3 months old now and won’t let us even pet him without running like crazy from us. I know everyone says never approach him from behind or above but it’s the only way we can grab him. He won’t let us come anywhere near him to try to slide a finger under his belly to pick him up. He hisses sometimes but doesn’t bite or puff his beard at us. We can put our hand in his tank to charge water etc and he stays still and will eat from tweezers from us no problem and but my son is dying to bond with him so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Your post will get moved but you need to be patient w/ him -- he is very scared - you need to approach from side approaching from the top he thinks your a predator - we got ours at 3 months and it took months for him to calm down - like 3-4 --- he is now 11 months old and will not do anything like he was - he bit my husband a couple of time the hissing running etc -- get a piece of cloth -- blanket something w/ your scent on it and place in his tank - he will get used to your smell --- hand feed - have your hands in his tank as much as possible -- so he gets used to your hand in his tank - set up a routine for feeding times - how old is your son? I recommend you do the training - he will bond w/ who feeds him etc and since I dont know how old your son is I can only recommend an adult take the care w/ the help of the child - they say these dragons are for kids but in the experience I have had over the 6 years I am gonna say no to that --- they are to complex - signs that dragons give that a child really doesnt understand -- after the dragon is older and depending on the age of the child he can take over the care but parents really need to be involved --- what size tank do you have him in and the lighting what are you using for UVB ect -- please be detailed as the bulb and brand --- where did you get him from --- ? Patience is key here remember you are a lot bigger than him --- relocation stress -- is he eating? You can post pics of the tank and lighting https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post -- you can post these in Introductions board
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom