wanting in and out of encloser

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an almost 1 year old female beardie who i give free range to my apartment (i live in a one room efficiency, so i can see basically everywhere she goes). I normally let her out if i catch her glass surfing because she goes to a certain part of the tank when she wants to be let out. Recently, she's started trying to get back into the tank very soon after I let her out, so she's just glass surfing on the other side, and then repeating the process soon after I put her back in.
It's not frequent enough that I'm super concerned it's a health issue, she still eats well and is generally just a happy little monster, but I'm worried that something about her enclosure might be bothering her? (its a 50 gal btw, plenty big)
tldr- she's doing that thing that cats do where you let them out and they immediately want back in

Draven88

Hatchling Member
I would first off check the temperatures on both the hot and cool ends of the enclosure as well as around the room. They do move around to self regulate temperature and it could be that while she wants to be out she is going back to get warm again. Due to changes of seasonal temperatures it is not uncommon to have to adjust basking lights if the room temperature isn't consistent.

Also while she is a lone female, it is actually possible for them to become gravid with a clutch of infertile eggs. This will result in searching around for a place to lay those eggs. This is not the most likely, but it is worth noting the possibility. Have you noticed besides the glass surfing any activity that looks like she is trying to dig? You can simply feel her belly for anything that feels like small marbles that you may be able to feel if this is the case.

JayDrinksMilk

Original Poster
Thanks! i'll definitely double check the temps. I have seen her digging but she mostly does that at night while trying to find a good sleeping spot, and I don't believe she's old enough to be breeding and I didn't feel any eggs when I checked. This really helped thank you!

Draven88

Hatchling Member
Yeah, unfortunately there are a multitude of things that might cause the back and forth behavior, many being no issue at all. You just want to monitor for stress, eating habits, weight gain or loss. Those will give you more of an idea of any problems if they should arise.

It is pretty rare especially when you don't have a male around for an infertile clutch. It has happened to me with one of mine, but I do also have males in different enclosures. At the time for room layout they were on opposite sides for a bit with sight of each other, there was no obvious behavior issues but it did engage the hormones so to speak and has been changed so that all enclosures are on the same wall with no vision of each other. For this reason I always recommend anyone with a female or even just not sure to read up on gravid behavior. It is a time when some extra care should be taken for example calcium is used up for the eggs fertile or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom