Glass surfing and odd napping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buggin

So for the last couple of weeks my beardie has been displaying some really off putting behavior. She'll spend hours a day glass surfing and scratching at the walls of her enclosure. As soon as I put her down in the living room she'll find a corner under the curtains and curl up into a ball to nap. If I leave her she will nap there all day.

She lives in a large lovely bioactive enclosure and prior to this odd activity was eating and sleeping normally with no glass surfing aside from her usual begging for her hour of outdoor playtime. Her enclosure has plenty of hides and plenty of dirt for burrowing so I can't understand why she wants out so badly only to nap in the corner!

UPDATE: Hey all! :mrgreen: Great update on this post! I woke up the morning after posting and Ursula had found a cozy spot under her log hid and burrowed herself in there. When I mean burrowed I mean well and truly burrowed, like a dirt mound closing off the entrance and all. She slept for a few days then one morning I woke up and there she was like nothing had happened. I fed her, gave her a little bath to remove all the dirt caked on her scales and turned her UV back on. She emerged from her mini brumation a changed girl. She stopped glass surfing and no longer naps when I put her out to roam.

I will say she's gone mad though and has been thoroughly exploring the house like never before :lol: She seems to love her bioactive enclosure and lounges in every corner, platform and nook for hours at a time when caged. When I put her out she's a little turbo monster and doesn't stop her exploring. I'm so relieved that she's not acting weird or sick anymore and I'm excited to see her so happy and vital looking.

To answer all questions, her UV was recently changed, the temps all were normal, she has plenty of space and furniture as well as deep substrate to dig around in. I guess she just really REALLY needed a good nap haha.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yes sounds like hormones are kicking in maybe a little bit of spring fever for the glass surfing but not the napping outside of the tank --- that sounds odd -- maybe some others on here might have some ideas for you
Have you checked her lighting basking temps? How old is the UVB ? And is it going the full length of the tank? Could be a number of reasons --
Karrie

Buggin

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2x5m3fup said:
Yes sounds like hormones are kicking in maybe a little bit of spring fever for the glass surfing but not the napping outside of the tank --- that sounds odd -- maybe some others on here might have some ideas for you
Have you checked her lighting basking temps? How old is the UVB ? And is it going the full length of the tank? Could be a number of reasons --
Karrie

UV was changed just a few days ago but this has been ongoing for a few weeks now. She eats, glass surfs til I let her out, then finds a dark corner and just goes straight to sleep. Temps are all correct, she has PLENTY of hides, which is what perplexes me the most. If she wants a nap, she's got about 3 burrows and 3 bark hides to do that under, but she prefers that corner under the curtains. Yesterday my husband let her out and forgot to shut our bedroom door. He later found her curled up under the corner of blanket that had fallen to the floor. She's eating and pooping regularly and has a normal appetite so I'm just totally confused!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
That makes two of us ---- when shes in her tank where does she sit most of the time when shes not glass surfing?
Karrie

Draven88

Hatchling Member
I'm curious what your temps are in the enclosure as compared to the locations she likes to run to and nap. Also how old is she? And you say under the curtains and curled in/on a blanket. I have a female that absolutely loved to curl up under a cloth to nap at one time and would sleep the same way all night, but in her case it was a normal brumation time.

Mine does the same thing, he scratches at the glass to come out. Then runs around my office while I work for a while and will often find a darker corner and goes to sleep. I was always guessing the nap was triggered by the change in body temp and darker area.

Buggin

Original Poster
Hey all! :mrgreen: Great update on this post! I woke up the morning after posting and Ursula had found a cozy spot under her log hid and burrowed herself in there. When I mean burrowed I mean well and truly burrowed, like a dirt mound closing off the entrance and all. She slept for a few days then one morning I woke up and there she was like nothing had happened. I fed her, gave her a little bath to remove all the dirt caked on her scales and turned her UV back on. She emerged from her mini brumation a changed girl. She stopped glass surfing and no longer naps when I put her out to roam.

I will say she's gone mad though and has been thoroughly exploring the house like never before :lol: She seems to love her bioactive enclosure and lounges in every corner, platform and nook for hours at a time when caged. When I put her out she's a little turbo monster and doesn't stop her exploring. I'm so relieved that she's not acting weird or sick anymore and I'm excited to see her so happy and vital looking.

To answer all questions, her UV was recently changed, the temps all were normal, she has plenty of space and furniture as well as deep substrate to dig around in. I guess she just really REALLY needed a good nap haha.

Buggin

Original Poster
KarrieRee":xca3d99u said:
That makes two of us ---- when shes in her tank where does she sit most of the time when shes not glass surfing?
Karrie

She would sit either under her hammock in the hot end, or in the middle between the cool and hot. Never the cool end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom