Glass Surfing and other weird behaviors

Status
Not open for further replies.

SarahGekkou

Hatchling Member
So, I'm a first time Beardie owner. I've had my girl Cersei for about 8 months and she's almost a year old. The last few days she has been glass surfing relentlessly until I let her out of her tank to run around the apartment a bit. I've got no problem doing this but after 20-30 minutes I put her back in her tank and she goes right back to running back and forth, smashing her nose into the glass and scratching at it like she wants out.

Another thing is, whenever she's out of her tank she bolts straight to one of 2 spots. Either the deck door to stare outside or the hall closet to stare at herself in the full-length mirror. Is this normal? I thought Beardiea got stressed out by creatures outside and their own reflection, thinking it's another dragon. Would moving her tank closer to a window and putting a small mirror nearby satisfy her if these things are all she wants outside of her tank?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The reflection is not good -- she thinks its another beardie I would not let her do that- is she getting a black beard when she sees herself any head bobbing arm waving? --- they like looking outside so I would let her do that -- sometimes tho they get spooked by birds so beware--- the lighting in the tank and the basking temps what are they and how are you taking them - what size tank is she in? And your UVB what is it brand and bulb where in the tank on top of screen or inside the tank and is it a coil or tube
Karrie

SarahGekkou

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":3giozy2f said:
The reflection is not good -- she thinks its another beardie I would not let her do that- is she getting a black beard when she sees herself any head bobbing arm waving? --- they like looking outside so I would let her do that -- sometimes tho they get spooked by birds so beware--- the lighting in the tank and the basking temps what are they and how are you taking them - what size tank is she in? And your UVB what is it brand and bulb where in the tank on top of screen or inside the tank and is it a coil or tube
Karrie

Hi Karrie,
I've attached an image below. She doesn't bob or wave or even get a black beard when she sees herself. She just... stares.

As for her setup, she's currently in a refurbished 75G fish tank. She's got a Reptisun T5 UVB tube mounted inside the tank, a 75w Zoomed basking bulb and a ceramic heat emitter for nighttime. I take her temps via an infrared thermometer and her temps are ~90° on the warm side, ~75° on the cool side and ~110° in her basking spot.
108046-1602785718.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
She looks good and not stressed out--- other wise that beard would be black--- :lol: -- your T 5 how far is the basking decor --- it should be 12-15 inches if its a 10.0 bulb -- I think maybe she is just wanting out -- cuz every thing else sounds good -- is only glass surfing? NO digging?
Karrie

SarahGekkou

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":3vbgod3e said:
She looks good and not stressed out--- other wise that beard would be black--- :lol: -- your T 5 how far is the basking decor --- it should be 12-15 inches if its a 10.0 bulb -- I think maybe she is just wanting out -- cuz every thing else sounds good -- is only glass surfing? NO digging?
Karrie

Well... she's got a tree that she sits on all the time, usually even sleeps on it. It's quite tall so when she's up top she may only be about 6 inches from the tube. I could see about changing things but she really loves that tree.

An update on the temps though. I just took them to be sure and they're a little higher than normal. Its warm in the apartment so that is probably why but do you think that may be the cause of her wanting to get out?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Possibly you don't want the tank too hot cool side should be 80's during the day-- can you position her tree differently? Your T 5 is too close for 6"-- 12-15" inches for inside you can put it on top screen making distance 8-10 basking decor directly underneath
Karrie

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
That could be as dark as her beard gets; my male is the same way--just a touch of grey.
My guess is that she thinks the reflection is/may be a male, and she's looking outside for same (i.e. she's looking for a mate).

SarahGekkou

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
MrSpectrum":1gjxwfc2 said:
That could be as dark as her beard gets; my male is the same way--just a touch of grey.
My guess is that she thinks the reflection is/may be a male, and she's looking outside for same (i.e. she's looking for a mate).

Nah, I've seen her beard get a lot darker. Again, when she sees herself she doesn't bob or wave or anything, which I know are displays of dominance or submission, so does she really think her reflection is another dragon?

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
SarahGekkou":18qtdn8s said:
Nah, I've seen her beard get a lot darker. Again, when she sees herself she doesn't bob or wave or anything, which I know are displays of dominance or submission, so does she really think her reflection is another dragon?
They are displays of dominance/submission, but don't always happen (each is different). I've never seen mine waving--not once. You'd probably know better than anyone. Mine does (see his reflection as another dragon). He saw his reflection once (4/1), and he's been looking for it to mate with ever since. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom