Why is Ramsey's beard black?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramsey58

So Ramsey is my male dragon and about 2 years old. I have him in a 36x18x18 enclosure with reptile carpet, his basking spot stays between 97-100°F and the cool side is always around 80-85°F. His staple feeder are Phoneix Worms/BSFL, I offer a variety of veggies (dandelion greens, acorn squash (steamed and cooled, watercress) he is extremely picky and only eats the veggies on occasion. When he refuses to eat salad on his own make him slurries with alfalfa, bee pollen, a raspberry and water, and hand feed him.

When I got Ramsey a year ago with parasites and MBD that was in it's early stages luckily. He soon was doing much better and he hasn't had any problems since then.

Yesterday evening I noticed that his beard was jet black while he was basking (the temp was at 98). His beard wasn't puffed and mouth wasn't gaping, but it was a extremely black (and this is very atypical for him. When I first received Ramsey and he was having the health issues his beard would turn black and I can't recall it happening again since then. He just had a bowel movement the day before (Wednesday) however it was small, and usually he only goes once or twice a week.

I gave him a bath, and while I don't physical see any bulges and his back legs seem to be moving fine, his stomach does feel bloated. I gave him some belly massages and let him soak keeping the water warm for about 30 min.

Today I woke and his beard was still black, he was still basking, and not eating anything (usually he loves the worms). After reading through many forums on here and doing more research I gave him 2 mL of prune juice and olive oil and waited an hour. Then I gave him another 30 min bath and belly massages and still he didn't defecate. I put him back in his tank around 2:45 pm, so now another 5 hours has passed. He still hasn't eaten, gone to the bathroom and he his still basking with a black beard!

Please someone help! I tried to provide as much information as I can think of right now, if anyone has questions or ideas for me, I would really appreciate the help! With the pandemic our vet is only taking emergencies and I would really prefer it to be my last resort since they are doing everything curbside.

???

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What are you using for a UVB? Coil or tube and where in the tank is it ? on top of screen or inside the tank? Something in the tank is off or hes got some health issues going on ---- can you post a pic of him?
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of the message box and then click on the pic it should post
Karrie

Ramsey58

Original Poster
Thank you for responding!

I have a reptisun 22 inch 10.0 UVH T5HO on top of the tank. Here is Ramsey:
105855-5123728462.jpg

105855-1592580355.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Can he sit directly under the UVB and what type of screen? Fine mesh or wide holed?
Karrie

Ramsey58

Original Poster
It's a wide holed screen and there are two places where he can sit directly under the UVB since it does stretch across his tank. I monitor the UV Index with a Solarmeter 6.5R. the UV Index of his basking index is 3 and 1 at the floor of his tank.

Ramsey58

Original Poster
Wow you might be right! I just took down the pillowcases that I had around the outside of his tank to wash them and haven't put them back, it actually slipped my mind because they had been clipped up for so long I forgot why I put them there! Thank you so much, this is exactly why I started keeping a log to track everything I do with Ramsey because I don't have the best memory! I will put them back up and update tomorrow! ?

SPandS

Juvie Member
It's probably just the reflection then but it's also that time of the year when their hormones are going wild so adding them both together you get a very po'ed dragon lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom