constant glass surfing

Status
Not open for further replies.

xAnaBooo

Hatchling Member
Hi.. My beardie girl has been glass surfing for a few days to a week now. She laid eggs weeks ago and it stopped and just now picked up again. She has been running around and scratching at her glass.

I did recently reorganize her terrarium and put a new hammock in there, but I'm sure this is not why. She usually doesn't seem to care much when I rearrange things. And I did it because she was doing it before and made a mess of her poo, so I cleaned it up, gave her a bath, and redecorated to see if maybe she was just bored.

I thought it was her reflection (which kind of helped) I stuck a few pieces of paper up to hide it and she seemed to stop scratching in one area, but her hammock she would get on it seek out on purpose just to scratch at the paper. More than half the time her reflection never bothered her anyway. She can see it when my room is dark since there's nothing for her to look into. Has never scratched at the door or anything.

Her stools have been ok: normal, and then every day she would give a little "leak" with a small piece or some water. I don't know if maybe this is what's causing it.

I feed her bsfl every other - every 2 days, kale and some vegetables every day, usually I switch between collards and kale but with the virus it's hard for me to go out and get some new collards.

Her uvb is a reptisun tube, mounted inside, maybe 12-16 inches from her basking spot. Her basking spot itself is somewhere between 90-105, I need new batteries for my temp meter so I'm waiting until the next time my parents go to the store.

It didn't seem like the paper helped. I tried to take her out to see if she just needed to run around, and she fought to go back to her cage. Her behavior seems to be fine otherwise. She is eating properly. Just annoyingly scratching and running around, and the last time she did this she laid eggs, so I don't know what it could be this time. I have tried to rule out typical glass surfing reasons and I have nothing left. If anyone has any other ideas, that would be helpful.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Could be she has more eggs --- is she just scratching at the glass any digging? Is it the same behavior she was doing when she laid eggs the last time
Karrie

xAnaBooo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Caught her digging for a few seconds once. I tried feeling for eggs and didn't feel anything. Can they lay them right after? it has been a solid month since she last did.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Not sure on that would haft to have one of the others on here answer that question ---
Karrie

xAnaBooo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Anyone else have any ideas? I am worried she is going to end up hurting herself some way.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Are you able to take her out and let her run around the house a bit? Sometimes they get really energetic and need space to explore and blow off some steam. You could possibly set up a portable basking light for her in your room and see how that goes. Giving her time on a window sill to look outside often helps occupy their mind too.

xAnaBooo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I would but with her mini poops I think she would ruin it.. lol!! I can try and set up a space for her. My house isn't very beardie proof but I might be able to do something in the living room.
I thought she just wanted out but she seemed to fight to get out of my hands and she typically doesnt fight if i try to take her out.

SPandS

Juvie Member
The mini poops are usually a sign of getting ready to lay eggs. At least that was also the case with mine. A month after laying eggs is just about right for another round too.

xAnaBooo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
That's what I had thought about mine too but it seemed too soon. I can't feel any eggs right now but I will keep an eye out and see if there's any way I could order stuff for a dig box online. thanks guys

xAnaBooo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I didn't cause it was a surprise! lol! I thought mine was a guy for over a year. The breeder told me it was a guy, and I resexed her around 10 months but I must have not seen it well enough. I just got home and she was laying eggs on the tile. I will have to look up what kind of stuff to get her, and hope she doesn't lay anything within the next few days hehe. Do I put the dig box in her enclosure? Or put her in it everyday?

SPandS

Juvie Member
If your enclosure is big enough you could put one in but I think most people make one outside of it using a plastic storage bin. If you can go out with what's going on, big box home improvement stores like home depot and lowes should be open and they carry everything you should need to set one up.

xAnaBooo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
my parents wouldn't let me go out, but we have colored storage bins if those work. i just need the substrate, which i think i can order online right?

xAnaBooo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Update: she definitely is gravid and I'm kind of in a sticky situation. Need to take my mom for teeth surgery in a few hours, but i have the sand and the tub.

I am still not sure how to set up a light over the lay box. I'm not even sure I will have time to try to get creative and set something up; will she be okay in the lay box without light for a couple hours until I can come home and set something up?
Or should I just leave her in the enclosure?
She started digging a lot yesterday on the tile. I assume that means I have a short time frame before she starts layin', either today or in a couple days span

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom