My Bearded Dragon afraid of me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilYokio

My beardie is about a month old. I had her for 2 weeks. I use to let her get on my bed and chill with me. One time she bolted and fell off my bed. Since then she has been very scared of me I guess. She runs away all the time, and she always gets twitchy around me. Once I pick her she isn't that bad. Sometimes she'll jump off me. I'm really trying to tame her. I take her out of her cage and pet her for about 20 minutes every day. What else can I do?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
She is going thru relocation stress and it may take awhile- you need to let her get used to you -- you can start w/ a piece of cloth or clothing or fleece something w/ your scent on it -- put it in her hide so she gets used to your smell start hand feeding her -- approach from the side not from above --- she has a third eye on top of her head for predators --- its going to take trust and patience --- start a routine of feeding times -- a routine so she knows what to expect --- I would not be getting her out of her tank to run loose too many accidents can happen hold her for limited times but you want her used to your hand---- her eating is going to slow but she should not quit eating all together --- can you go over your set up for the tank lighting and what your using --- basking temps ? what are they and how are you taking them? NO stick ons they are inaccurate --- we can go over diet and getting her to eat her salads as well if you like -- I can give you some tips to help w/ that
Karrie

LilYokio

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1wn616gc said:
She is going thru relocation stress and it may take awhile- you need to let her get used to you -- you can start w/ a piece of cloth or clothing or fleece something w/ your scent on it -- put it in her hide so she gets used to your smell start hand feeding her -- approach from the side not from above --- she has a third eye on top of her head for predators --- its going to take trust and patience --- start a routine of feeding times -- a routine so she knows what to expect --- I would not be getting her out of her tank to run loose too many accidents can happen hold her for limited times but you want her used to your hand---- her eating is going to slow but she should not quit eating all together --- can you go over your set up for the tank lighting and what your using --- basking temps ? what are they and how are you taking them? NO stick ons they are inaccurate --- we can go over diet and getting her to eat her salads as well if you like -- I can give you some tips to help w/ that
Karrie

You are amazing. Thank You
I bought a 40-gallon starter kit tank from pet smart. It came with UVB Light and a Basking Light. Also came with carpet, basking dock, two serving trays for food and water. I added a fake plant and wood in the enclosure. The temperature is usually 80 degrees and the humidity varies (30 to 50 humidity ) I don't know how to increase the heat. Since I got her she does not eat veggies at all(I always but salads in her enclosure). She only eats really If I don't be around her or sometimes If I feed her. Sometimes I would put crickets in her enclosure, she will act like they are not there and eventually they hide. I fed her Dubai roaches and love them, can I replace crickets with that?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
That starter kit came w/ a coil UVB???????? If so your dragon is not getting adequate UVB in fact none--- you need to get this ASAP if that is what you have ----you need a 24" fixture w/ reflector--- and a 10.0 Reptisun tube bulb either a T 5 or a T 8---------- basking temps can be raised by either raising decor piece or going to a higher wattage bulb --- but you need to have a digital probe thermometer to get accurate temps --- so make sure you have that on hand ---
Karrie

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Each Dragon Is Different (EDID). Some, like mine, took months to tame down. Any time I'd reach into the enclosure, I'd get bearded, gaped at, hissed at, and/or bitten. Getting bit is no big deal when they're little, but once they put a little weight on, they can do some damage.

It's natural for these little guys to be afraid of us at first, especially when that young. They're one step above the very bottom of the food chain. Aside from the bugs they hunt & eat, almost everything else in their natural environment is a predator trying to eat them, so taming/trusting goes against millions of years of evolution.

Some Tips:
1. Patience. Hopefully, yours won't take as long as mine did, but you can't force/rush these things. It may take some time.
2. Consistency. Slow non-threatening motions/movements--never from overhead.
3. Resolve/follow-through. If your dragon runs away, or otherwise acts out, don't get angry/frustrated, but don't let them get away with it, or they'll learn that behavior will put you off. If you're going to pick them up, you're going to pick them up.
4. You will make mistakes--we all do. Don't Panic. Give your dragon some time to calm down, and start over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom