Phoenix is climbing the glass

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Phoenix is a rescue that my step daughter brought when she moved in. To the best of our knowledge he is 1-2 years old. He came in a 20 gallon tank with inadequate equipment. I have spent the last few weeks trying to improve his life. He was very lethargic in his old tank and had no room. Now he has a 75 gallon with tile floor good lighting and heat he a rock pile and a log to bask on and gets baths 2-3 times a week. He had a good bowel movement a day or so ago and after a week in his new tank he is very active. But now he always stares at the glass and then tries to climb it. I am bothered by this because I want him to be happy like our other pets. He gets taken out of the tank every morning and held and loved. So why might he be doing this? He doesn't appear to be stressed out at all. He just tries to climb then he chills out and acts normal. But out of the blue he will go to the glass and try to climb! Is there anything that can be done to prevent this? Thanks in advance.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
It could be just the weather that hes acting more energetic ---- but we should go over the lighting to see if that is causing the issue --- can you post pic of him and his lighting your using---- also what are your basking temps and how are you taking them? NO stick ons they are inaccurate
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at top of message box then click on the pic and it should post
Karrie

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
jlawson115":cquiz39o said:
But now he always stares at the glass and then tries to climb it. I am bothered by this because I want him to be happy like our other pets.
What leads you to believe he's not happy after all the improvements to his quality of life? :D
He's not like your other pets--he's a bearded dragon! :laughing6:

Bearded dragons are semi-arboreal; they love climbing and being up high so they can survey their dominions for interlopers, predators, and potential nookie. So he's just doing what comes naturally.

Since he's not stressed out, and soon chills out and acts "normally" (whatever that means--dragonz can be weeerd :lol: ) I wouldn't be concerned. Mine (and I'm sure many others) behave the same way. During active periods, mine tries to pull open the sliding glass door at the front of his enclosure, which I find kinda cool, because he must have learned it by watching me! :laughing6:

It sounds to me like you're both doing fine. Kudos! :D

jlawson115

Original Poster
107609-4121605731.jpg
107609-3604239803.jpg
I have 2 power Suns one is 80w one is 100w and a screw in t5 uvb bulb. His basking spot temp taken with a probe is 109 degrees Fahrenheit. It's not that I think he's unhappy, it's just I worry about him since this is all new to me. The knowledge I have now because of this forum is exponentially greater than when he arrived here. I am so happy to see his energy return and see him moving around. I just want to be a good human for him and if I'm missing something To make his life better then I want to fix it. Oh, his lights are the deep dome flunkers and a mini deep dome. Also I plan on adding a herpastat 2 once I'm back to work from all the shutdowns do to the virus (I'm a chef).
107609-2160539418.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom