8mo Out of brumation and going crazy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrightStar

Hatchling Member
I posted last month concerned that my 8 month old bearded dragon, Walter, might be trying to brumate. After following everyone’s advice, Walter did go through a period of semi-brumation, during which he would sleep 2-3 days, then be up 1-2 days. After a few weeks of this, he seems to have decided he’s done with sleeping.

Now I have a new worry!

Walter has emerged from semi-brumation almost like a different dragon. Not only does he now seem to really like my husband (whereas before there was much backing away and stink eyeing) he has decided he doesn’t want to eat because he’d rather dash round his cage all day, demolish whatever he can, and attack his reflection. His obsession with attacking the sides of his cage has gotten to the point where he looks like he has a slight injury on his nose. Even when I covered the sides, he attacks the covered sides (there’s no reflection) as if he’s convinced the evil dragon reflection is hiding underneath the covering. When I try to let him out to burn off some energy (and spare his poor nose) he literally tries to climb the walls, and attacks his own shadow. What’s with him? Breeding season?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Sounds like it - his hormones are in over drive-- Hiccup was doing the same wall surfing --- for like 2 weeks - didnt matter how long I left him out he was going nuts --- he has now calmed down and every thing is good
Karrie

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Sounds like a major case of spring fever!! LOL!! ? I hear it will calm down in time, maybe couple weeks/months? Hope it's soon for your sake and sanity. ?
-Dee

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I think they both do ---- they get the spring fever thing going on ---
Karrie

McBeck

Mine is very young and extremely mellow and trusting. Hopefully I won't have to deal with it to much. I keep her in a room where she doesn't get a daily look at the natural lighting. Though she is out every day.

BrightStar

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Could Walter be a girl? I’ve never seen him black beard (though he does puff it out a lot) or head bob, and whilst he’s rampaging around his cage, he has also been digging up his Bioactive substrate. At 8 months, should he have developed femoral pores or other ways I can use to tell if he is a boy or a girl?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Post a pic of Walter w/ butt in the air so we can see the vent
Karrie

BrightStar

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I haven’t been able to get a picture, but did manage to take a look yesterday. I saw two quite prominent bulges, so I assume that means he is definitely a he? I’ll try to post a picture as soon as I can anyways for those with more experience to confirm.

Assuming Walter is a boy, is lack of appetite and extreme pickiness normal? He has suddenly decided he won’t eat anything, and that’s not helping with his sudden additional aversion to calcium and vitamin powder. Walter might have his mind on making baby dragons, but he’s only 8 months old and needs his protein and his supplements. Is the fussy appetite thing typical for breeding season?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
At 8 months old I didnt think dragons brumated or even semi brumated -- mine turned 9 months old and he hasnt brumated or come any where near that -- something is telling me the lighting is off in that tank - he should be eating like a champ being he is so young yet -- tell us what your using for a UVB brand and bulb where it is in the tank or on top of screen -- what are your basking temps and how are you taking them ? NO stickons they are only good for ambient temps ---
Karrie

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
BrightStar":3bomip06 said:
Assuming Walter is a boy, is lack of appetite and extreme pickiness normal?
It is for ZaRDoZ (6 months); he's always been picky. As I type, he's throwing a major hissy-fit, tearing up plants, flinging pebbles, and hissing at me when I try to replace them. He won't eat his num-numz today because (I think) he's holding out for more beardie crack (super worms). He occasionally acts out, but this is... different.

He has suddenly decided he won’t eat anything, and that’s not helping with his sudden additional aversion to calcium and vitamin powder. Walter might have his mind on making baby dragons, but he’s only 8 months old and needs his protein and his supplements. Is the fussy appetite thing typical for breeding season?
I don't know about breeding--Z is even younger, but he's always hated calcium & vitamins. Lately I've been dipping beardie crack in the powders, and he wolfs them down, then gives me the stink-eye.

BrightStar

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I tried dipping beardie crack (Superworm) in his calcium and vitties, but he acts like I’m offering him a stick of dynamite! I’m weighing him regularly and he’s a steady weight, so he must be getting enough nutrition. He’s active and alert. Tried changing his supplements to repashy calcium plus. It’s too soon to know if he prefers it, but I’m hoping first indications are that he might. I’m not as familiar with this brand, any advice from anyone that uses it?

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Whichever brand, a day or 2 (sometimes more) and he'll eat them--dusting and all.
These guys can and do act out--even get moody--especially during these "teen" (adolescent) months. Typical teenager! :lol:
As long as he's basking, defecating, otherwise acting like a BD normally, and not losing weight, I wouldn't be too concerned. Good opportunity to watch & learn more about him. Also keep in mind he's his own lizard; what applies to others may or may not apply to him.

All generalizations are false, including this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom