Extreme Attatchment

Status
Not open for further replies.

vexenstein

Hello! (I'm new here.)

I've had my beardie for about 2 years now. His name is Hiccup and he was surrendered by his previous owners to me. (I have other reptiles aswell.) He was pretty neglected / not properly treated his whole life, but now he is 7 years old and living like a spoiled king!

His tank is in my bedroom, but he also will spend a lot of time in the living room area where we have set up a whole spot for him for looking out the window / climbing / etc.

One major issue I've noticed over the past year is that he is severely attatched to me, and it's only getting worse.
The minute I wake up in the morning, he is upset and angry until I take him out. When I go to work, I come home and he is angry and upset until I take him out.
At first I thought he just didnt like being in his tank, until I would leave him with someone else (my sister, boyfriend or parents) to hangout with while I go do other stuff. I wouldn't be gone far, and he would instantly chase after me and get upset until I returned to him. He's even taught himself how to get down onto the floor just to run and find me and crawl up my leg.
Even as I type this, at 10:49 pm, he is asleep on me, because he simply will not fall asleep on his own. He will only sleep if hes with me first before I put him in his tank.

He also gets very jealous of my other reptiles.
My Uromastyx, 9 years old, named Beansy, loves to sit on my knee, hold my fingers in her hand, and you know, do other Beansy things.
After watching her do this, Hiccup now imitates some of her behaviours out of nowhere and will snuggle into me extra hard after I've given attention to another pet.

I just worry a bit, because its started to effect me in ways, where I will be away for the night or gone for a day or 2 and I'll be worried about him being upset. I'll have people check in on him, and even take him out of his tank, but they say hes simply always upset unless I'm around, even stomping around and throwing a complete fit.
Yet, he is NEVER angry when he's with me. The black beard goes away instantly.

I love my little mans, but I worry. I'm not sure why he's like this, or how to help it, because it's gotten worse lately. I cannot spend every physical moment with him as much as I'd love to. If anyone has any advice or similar experiences, I'd love to know!

(these photos were taken 2 minutes apart. he was upset because I left him with my boyfriend while I made lunch, then he was fine once I returned.)
107578-929940814.jpg
107578-3572215471.jpg

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
He sees you as one who saved him from his past life (made him feel special) now he loves you (in his own weird Dragon way) and, there is nothing wrong with that. I don't think he is actually angry when your gone, it is more like he is happy to see you when you are there.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
First, welcome to the asylum. :lol:

vexenstein":3l44fy10 said:
I'm not sure why he's like this, or how to help it, because it's gotten worse lately. I cannot spend every physical moment with him as much as I'd love to. If anyone has any advice or similar experiences, I'd love to know!
Really? Cuz I could swear I just read a long post about why he's like this & how he got this way.
Ya don't spoze "living like a spoiled king!" might have had anything to do with it? :roll: :laughing6:
If/when you have kids, I predict they're gonna be real spoiled.

Believe it or don't, none of this is meant to be critical or judgemental; I spoil the heck out of my dogs (and my BD to an extent).

I can relate to the angry part, cuz my BD is PO'd 24/7/365 (at anyone/everyone, since the day we brought him home as a baby), and it's only recently we've learned to coexist with my fingers left intact. :lol:

My Uromastyx, 9 years old, named Beansy, loves to sit on my knee, hold my fingers in her hand, and you know, do other Beansy things.
After watching her do this, Hiccup now imitates some of her behaviours out of nowhere and will snuggle into me extra hard after I've given attention to another pet.
This doesn't surprise me at all. BDs surprised the world with their ability to learn by watching other dragons, so why not other lizards as well?

Folks here (myself included) joke about being "beardie slaves", i.e. having to tend to their needs like eating, cleaning up poops, letting them out, etc. but this seems like taking it to a whole new level. The closest analogy I can draw is dog owners who allow their dogs to become their alphas. The results are detrimental to both owners and dogs. Like kids, dogs are happier with a stable hierarchy and structure--knowing who the leader is and what's expected of them, and being more comfortable/relaxed/stress-free in that knowledge. Dragons, OTOH, are not social animals; they are--by nature--solitary creatures. Becoming this dependent/clingy is seemingly contrary to their nature, but then they will/do dominate other dragons within their influence/territory, and I'm guessing that's what may be going on.
Are you feeling dominated by his behavior?

I don't claim any expertise/superior knowledge in bearded dragon psychology/behavioral modification. My experience lies more with training dogs. But frankly, this isn't your run-of-the-mill, "my dragon won't eat his greens," or "my dragon poops on me whenever I take him out," kind of question, so it may not have a simple cut & dried answer/solution.

If I were in your situation, I think I'd be researching both google and google scholar for articles/clues on:
bearded dragon psychology (google)
bearded dragon psychology (google scholar)
bearded dragon behavior modification (google)
bearded dragon behavior modification (google scholar)
...and similar kinds of topics.

I look forward to this discussion. I think there's a solution, but it will take some perspicacity, discipline, and perseverance. :)

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
I know what you are saying but, Dragons are fairly simple creatures and just as complicated in other ways.
I know Peaches (RIP) was a lot like that but, not quite that severe. She got excited every time I came home from work and, wanted me to hold her for a while, then she would calm down.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Gormagon":205ilv5a said:
I know what you are saying but, Dragons are fairly simple creatures and just as complicated in other ways.
I know Peaches (RIP) was a lot like that but, not quite that severe. She got excited every time I came home from work and, wanted me to hold her for a while, then she would calm down.
Did this ritual include feeding or getting treats?

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
MrSpectrum":obink8dx said:
Gormagon":obink8dx said:
Did this ritual include feeding or getting treats?
Nope I didn't even have to be there. My wife would put me on speaker phone and she would start looking for me....pacing.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
This thread has gotten me exploring some interesting (to me) questions. I'm still at the beginning, and haven't yet sorted the wheat from the chaff, but here are a couple of unvetted articles I've found whilst trying to find out a BD's brain size (which I haven't yet found--anybody know, got a link?):

Human and reptile brains aren’t so different after all

Australian bearded dragons experience deep sleep, dreams, scientists say

Why Does My Bearded Dragon Like to Cuddle With Me?
This article claims to cite 7 references, but clicking on them yields nothing. :dontknow:

10 Facts About Caring for Bearded Dragons
1. They Are Friendly

Beardies recognize and respond to their owners’ voices and touch and are usually even-tempered. They can be great pets for someone who wants a reptile who likes to be held and taken out of his cage. They are generally easy to handle if you support their wide, flat bodies from underneath and allow them to walk from hand to hand as they move. Dragons can even be handled by children as long as the children are supervised by adults. And anyone who handles a dragon must wash up afterward, as all reptiles carry salmonella bacteria.
I knew this about recognizing & responding to voice & touch; the extreme attachment seems to go a bit further.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom