Relocation stress digging?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So its day 3 at home. Yesterday was a bit rough with relocation stress... he started showing stress marks. He was glass surfing a lot and starting scratching at the back of his big cave like he wanted to dig. I got his background up in the afternoon and the glass surfing stopped and he also stopped scratching/digging but I honestly think he was just exhausted because he fell asleep an hour before his lights turned off.

Today seemed like it was going much better and he seemed so much more relaxed. I even saw him stretching out his beard (not black) while basking and his stress Mark's were even lighter than yesterday. Now its 3pm and he's back in his cave scratching at the back wall. Should I put a t-shirt or small towel inside his cave to allow him to burrow into something? Is it a stress coping thing for beardies to dig?

Of course now that I'm writing about it he's poked his head out and is staring at me with his smug face like he's judging me for being a bit concerned. Lol

Any suggestions or insights?

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
lizalizaliza":1xxua1p5 said:
So its day 3 at home. Yesterday was a bit rough with relocation stress... he started showing stress marks. He was glass surfing a lot and starting scratching at the back of his big cave like he wanted to dig. I got his background up in the afternoon and the glass surfing stopped and he also stopped scratching/digging but I honestly think he was just exhausted because he fell asleep an hour before his lights turned off.

Today seemed like it was going much better and he seemed so much more relaxed. I even saw him stretching out his beard (not black) while basking and his stress Mark's were even lighter than yesterday. Now its 3pm and he's back in his cave scratching at the back wall. Should I put a t-shirt or small towel inside his cave to allow him to burrow into something? Is it a stress coping thing for beardies to dig?

Of course now that I'm writing about it he's poked his head out and is staring at me with his smug face like he's judging me for being a bit concerned. Lol

Any suggestions or insights?
It can take some time for them to settle in. Maybe a washcloth size piece of cloth in his hide? If you have a cotton handkerchief or bandana, maybe wear it close to your skin, like under your shirt, for a day and put that in there. I've heard it helps them get accustomed to your scent.
He needs time to settle in. ? Should be ok soon. ?
-Dee

lizalizaliza

Original Poster
DragonPete":2zc8kuq8 said:
It can take some time for them to settle in. Maybe a washcloth size piece of cloth in his hide? If you have a cotton handkerchief or bandana, maybe wear it close to your skin, like under your shirt, for a day and put that in there. I've heard it helps them get accustomed to your scent.
He needs time to settle in. ? Should be ok soon. ?
-Dee
Yeah. He's back to basking again, the stinker.

I'm sure I have a bandana somewhere i can get washed today and sleep with tonight or something. Thanks ?

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Make sure it's not perfumed with fabric softener, etc.

FWIW, I've had mine for 5 months, and he goes through a nightly ritual of digging/scratching at the tile floor before going to sleep. It doesn't seem to bother him, and it doesn't bother us. That's how bearded dragons do. Last time he displayed any stress marks was (I think) because he ate too much and may have been uncomfortable with a tummy ache or something. He's fine today. Just weighed/measured him (weekly ritual), and he didn't even hiss at me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom