Stressed Beardie??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dkrugg9

So I’ve had my baby beardie for a week and a half now. He’s a little over 2 months old, was born December 21. The first few days he seemed like he was loving his new home, and fine with humans (myself and my girlfriend) but now as of about Saturday he seems very frightened of us and very skittish. When I get home from work he’s basking but as soon as he sees me he starts getting ancy and runs for his hideout, then I’ll be lucky to be able to see him again for the rest of the night. When it comes to feeding time, I take his hideout out from his tank and put his roaches in a dish and I slowly drop the dish in and feed him while I’m holding the dish. He’s always looking up at me while he eats, and I can understand that he’s very intimidated by me, but I’m trying to gain his trust through that. He also hasn’t pooped since Saturday night or Sunday morning I can’t remember which, but he’s still eating! Now I’ve done my research and have read tons of posts about relocation stress, but I just don’t get why he was ok with us for the first 4-5 days and then the last few he’s freaked out! Please help!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
It is normal- he will need to learn to trust- are you feeding him salads? He needs salads every day - best time to feed is in the morning-- you can add a few small super worms 1-3 on top or butter worms- make sure you have a glass bowl the insects/ worms can't get out--- add those worms in front of him it will entice him to the bowl-- you can also use bsfl-- you can get them here www.symtonbsf.com order large- you don't need to dust them they are another great staple feeder- it will take time for him come around- patience- you can put a fleece blanket or piece of clothing in his tank so he gets used to your smell- just keep working w/ him-- what is your lighting your using? UVB- brand and bulb? Tube or coil?
Karrie

Dkrugg9

Original Poster
Yes I put his greens in a feeder dish and let them be for the day, and when I get home from work he’s usually ate half of it. I’ve yet to have any problems with him eating his salads. I feed him before work and then again about and hour after I get home. I have the Reptisun 5.0 UVB tube and Reptisun T5 hood inside the tank. I do have the 10.0 tube also but I don’t use that inside the tank with him. His basking light is the Zoo Med Repti Basking Spot Lamp

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok you only need one of them I would suggest you use the 10.0 tube-- it is a stronger bulb - if the screen is a fine mesh the 10.0 tube needs to be 6-8 inches from the basking decor if the screen is a wide hole the basking decor needs to be 8-10 inches - if you want to mount it inside the tank it would need to be 12-15 inches from the basking decor--- it is up to you - the 5.0 is more of a aquarium bulb and considered to be a T 8 -- they are a different distance and need to be inside the tank as they are not as strong as the T 5--- and its good hes eating salads --- he needs to have at least 2 hrs of a basking after eating
Karrie

Dkrugg9

Original Poster
I do only use one tube, the 5.0. He’s about 7-8 inches away front the 5.0 inside the tank right now. I can’t get the 12-15 inch distance with the 10.0 that’s why I put the 5.0 in there with him.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok well just give him time to adjust - my 8 month old took until recently to calm down and not run and hiss and we have had him since Sept - he was alot more feisty than my 2 year old -- so keep working w/him --- always approach from the side and not over head - they have like a 3rd eye for predators so he may think your a predator coming from above -- put your hands in the tank as much as possible so he get used to your hand in his tank
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok good --- well as long as hes getting good UVB and good basking temps he should do well -- and a good diet :)
Karrie

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
In the picture, it appears the UVB is mounted on the side/back of the enclosure(?) AFAIK, it should be overhead (like the sun), so he can regulate with his parietal eye (top of head). The 5.0 can be mounted to the underside of the screened(?) top; the 10.0 can be mounted on top of the screened top. :wink:

Dkrugg9

Original Poster
MrSpectrum":3hx383qz said:
In the picture, it appears the UVB is mounted on the side/back of the enclosure(?) AFAIK, it should be overhead (like the sun), so he can regulate with his parietal eye (top of head). The 5.0 can be mounted to the underside of the screened(?) top; the 10.0 can be mounted on top of the screened top. :wink:

It is mounted on the back, that is correct. I was told to mount it inside of the tank? And I was also told that mounting it on top of the screen would filter out the UV too much and wouldn’t be sufficient. I’m hear to learn, so if that’s wrong, please educate me! I want the best for my beardie! And also I’m not sure what “AFAIK” means?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
This is true for best effects of the Ray's T 8's should be inside the tank directly over the basking spot
Karrie

Dkrugg9

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1fkzd2nk said:
This is true for best effects of the Ray's T 8's should be inside the tank directly over the basking spot
Karrie

My T5 hood is inside the tank with the 5.0 bulb, which I was told would be about equivalent to the T8 with a 10.0 bulb. Should I take the T5 hood out and put it on top of the screen with the 10.0 bulb then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom