It's Been a Week of "Firsts"...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
The little asshat's on a tear today. He beat the living... stuffins out of one of his plants--frustrated that he can't open the glass door by himself. Actually, it's kinda cool that he learned how from watching me (instead of watching another dragon). Also, it appears he's smarter than I am--I should just move the stupid plant (DUH :oops: ).

Today's First: After hearing a loud crashing noise from the other room, DW called in, "He's dumped his bowl." He's tipped it a bit from time to time, stepping in it to get to his num-numz, or glass-surfing over the top of it, but today he completely dumped it upside down, spilling greens & about 20 num-numz all over the floor. I had to act faster than I was prepared to, scooping up roaches in singles & groups, and trying to get them off my fingers (and rapidly climbing up my hands) and into the bowl. A few tried escaping into the dark confines & crevices of cage decor... "Hey, you... come back here. You're not getting away from me!" I think I got 'em all, but whoever knows? :dontknow: Either he'll eat them, they'll die in some forsaken corner or crevice, or DW or I will find one crawling on something somewhere. (Actually, DW will tell me about it, and I'll have to drop whatever I may be doing and go on a bug hunt... BUG HUNT!")

A Few Moments Later...
He did it again... OK, this time I moved the plant, and I got a major stink-eye for my trouble. :lol:

A Few More Moments Later...
I can't believe this. He just beat up the plant behind the one he was beating up before, and he's flinging pebbles all over the enclosure. :shock: It's like a teenage act of defiance, only I don't know what age(s) constitute adolescence/teens for a bearded dragon... :dontknow:
I reach in to replace the pebbles, and he hisses a me. (Fortunately, my distraction--petting him on the head while he's hissing--is still working. :lol: )

An Hour and a Half Later...
He just left me a huge stinky--biggest one yet, and first time in 4 weeks that he's missed the paper towel. It looks like it was on purpose-- :dontknow: --like he strategically dumped it right next to the PT. If I could read dragon, it probably says, "Blank You!"
When I found it, he was propped up in the front corner trying to pull the glass door open again.
Now that he's empty, I tried picking him up for some taming. Another First: He didn't try to run, squirm, hiss, or snap at me... he just let me pick him up. I'm guessing he just really wanted out of there, whether feeling his oats, or just adventurous. Tried putting him on my chest, and he immediately began bolting. He's been squirmy before, but this was like squirmy² At this point, I'm a bit reluctant to let him climb to my shoulder, not knowing whether he'd try to continue to the top of my head or dive into space behind me (and there's too much he could hurt himself on, not to mention the big friendly Ol' Furface). Maybe another time... :lol:

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Last evening, he fell asleep on me for the first time. :mrgreen: :blob8: :mrgreen:

NOW I feel like I'm making progress. This morning he looked at me like... "Did I dream that?" but of course I'm anthropomorphizing.

He's still squirmy cuz I imagine he wants to explore on his own, but I think he's past fearing I might eat him.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Apparently he doesn't think that your idea of decor fits his "MANLY DRAGON" status, LOL!!!! I think if he were a "LADY DRAGON" he wouldn't mind the plants so much but being he is a " MANLY DRAGON" you are going to have to deal with his path of destruction and phsycotic episodes, LOL!!!

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
MrSpectrum":1xss3epi said:
Last evening, he fell asleep on me for the first time. :mrgreen: :blob8: :mrgreen:

NOW I feel like I'm making progress. This morning he looked at me like... "Did I dream that?" but of course I'm anthropomorphizing.

He's still squirmy cuz I imagine he wants to explore on his own, but I think he's past fearing I might eat him.
Aww that's sweet. ? Amazing what time and patience can do. ?
-Dee

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Gormagon":2c6mykit said:
Apparently he doesn't think that your idea of decor fits his "MANLY DRAGON" status, LOL!!!! I think if he were a "LADY DRAGON" he wouldn't mind the plants so much but being he is a " MANLY DRAGON" you are going to have to deal with his path of destruction and phsycotic episodes, LOL!!!
I see it more like Rocket beating up grass... :banghead:

This was all foreseen beforehand. Every plant in there (except the Tillandsia, which is mounted high on the back wall) has at least 3 replacements waiting in the wings. :D

Besides, the plants are the only way I can keep the humidity high enough that I don't have to spritz 4X a day. Haven't had to spritz all week! :blob8:

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Well, he just ate the bejeeberz out of an Arrow-Shaped Echeveria (Echeveria setosa)--right down to the nubs. It used to look like 3 palm trees rising out of the planter; now it looks like 2 palm trees stripped on one side by a hurricane, and one bare stalk sticking up.

He's eaten more of that than he has of his salads or veggies. :dontknow: Figgerz.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
MrSpectrum":2ddlc7cw said:
Well, he just ate the bejeeberz out of an Arrow-Shaped Echeveria (Echeveria setosa)--right down to the nubs. It used to look like 3 palm trees rising out of the planter; now it looks like 2 palm trees stripped on one side by a hurricane, and one bare stalk sticking up.

He's eaten more of that than he has of his salads or veggies. :dontknow: Figgerz.
Hey! It's fresh greens right? Win win!
-Dee

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
DragonPete":2s0k8epi said:
Except that I haven't found any nutritional info. on this species.
It won't poison/kill him, but I'd rather he eat what's known to be good for him.
Kids... never want to eat their veggies--only junk food.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
MrSpectrum":3lzeewsf said:
DragonPete":3lzeewsf said:
Except that I haven't found any nutritional info. on this species.
It won't poison/kill him, but I'd rather he eat what's known to be good for him.
Kids... never want to eat their veggies--only junk food.
Maybe will make him more apt to try other green stuff? See if you can find something the same color. And maybe size shape and stick it in a pot, see if he goes after it. Not soil or anything just upright in a pot. Know what I mean? If he's suddenly going after potted greens, I'd take advantage of that. ?
-Dee

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
That... would not be easy. Arrow-Shaped Echeveria has a very unusual and distinctive leaf shape.
Right now he's working on some leftover raw cabbage leaf from St. Paddy's Day corned beef & cabbage (DW is of Irish descent) with some cilantro & oregano leaves tossed in.

Hasn't touched any of it. He's hiding from the sun (both lights) today. :roll:

Dragonz iz weerd.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
MrSpectrum":185vunhe said:
That... would not be easy. Arrow-Shaped Echeveria has a very unusual and distinctive leaf shape.
Right now he's working on some leftover raw cabbage leaf from St. Paddy's Day corned beef & cabbage (DW is of Irish descent) with some cilantro & oregano leaves tossed in.

Hasn't touched any of it. He's hiding from the sun (both lights) today. :roll:

Dragonz iz weerd.
LOL! ? EDID. True story! ?
-Dee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom