Beardie is puffing his beard without it turning black

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok Mushu is my new 18 month old baby and due too lack of proper uvb from his old owner and me not knowing his temp was wrong she told me it needed too be between 85 and ninety five and just put the uvb light on top of the mesh lid my beardie ended up throwing up twice and lost his appetite I figured out what was wrong after he threw up and got his temp back up and fixed the awful uvb light he came with too shine directly on him not through the mesh he came with all the thing a Zilla dessert reptile starter kit comes with and the sticker thermometer is awful and not accurate my beardie lost his appetite and quit eating and drinking because the low temp slowed his metabolism well today when I got home from work I got all the supply’s too rehydrate him and get him eating not solid foods but baby food with calcium and vitamins in it after he ate and drank he basked and perked back up writhing an hour he’s been running around his cage like a wild man ever since when he’s not watching tv lol but he has also started puffing his beard randomly but when he does it his beard is t black and he has no stress spots anymore what could this mean is it a sign of a different sickness he seems in vety good spirits honestly but with how sick he was the last couple days I’m a bit worried about everything

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
MushusMommy1993":10fqkzl4 said:
Ok Mushu is my new baby and due too lack of proper uvb from his old owner and me not knowing his temp was wrong she told me it needed too be between 85 and ninety five and just put the uvb light on top of the mesh lid my beardie ended up throwing up twice and lost his appetite I figured out what was wrong after he threw up and got his temp back up and fixed the awful uvb light he came with too shine directly on him not through the mesh he came with all the thing a Zilla dessert reptile starter kit comes with and the sticker thermometer is awful and not accurate my beardie lost his appetite and quit eating and drinking because the low temp slowed his metabolism well today when I got home from work I got all the supply’s too rehydrate him and get him eating not solid foods but baby food with calcium and vitamins in it after he ate and drank he basked and perked back up writhing an hour he’s been running around his cage like a wild man ever since when he’s not watching tv lol but he has also started puffing his beard randomly but when he does it his beard is t black and he has no stress spots anymore what could this mean is it a sign of a different sickness he seems in vety good spirits honestly but with how sick he was the last couple days I’m a bit worried about everything

So glad to hear he seems to be feeling better! Good thing he found you! ?
I've noticed my boy will puff his beard when he's getting warm or warming up. I call it stretching, kinda like what we do in the mornings. He'll stretch out for a couple seconds and then suck back in. He'll do it several times over the course of several minutes but never goes black. Don't know if there are other reasons for this but I'm sure someone else will pitch in.
Maybe being in proper temps now he feels the need to stretch a bit. ?
-Dee

MushusMommy1993

Original Poster
Yes he can he is 18 months old and an adult when he was sick and vomiting his stress marks were prominent and his beard was completely black also whe we first got him Tuesday whenever my fiancé would try and pet him he bearded and it was black

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
MushusMommy1993":1x9t73bi said:
Yes he can he is 18 months old and an adult when he was sick and vomiting his stress marks were prominent and his beard was completely black also whe we first got him Tuesday whenever my fiancé would try and pet him he bearded and it was black
No problem. That's what I thought.
How's he acting? Getting his temps straightened out?
-Dee

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
I've been wondering (and asking repeatedly) how old they need to be to black-beard. ZaRDoZ (not yet 6 months) definitely beards--sometimes when I'm trying to get hold of him (along with hissing & biting)--but sometimes just inflating while he's basking. I figured it was something like stretching (or rehearsing? :lol: )

In all this time, he's never black-bearded; at this point, I don't even know if he's capable, or if one of his morphs could've messed that up. He's got a... band/swath across the bottom of his beard that gets a little darker, with some orange as well, but that's it.

It probably doesn't matter; it's highly unlikely he'll ever meet another dragon--m or f, and we're no threat to him (despite what he thinks/how he acts :lol: ).

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
MrSpectrum":33f5rj6t said:
I've been wondering (and asking repeatedly) how old they need to be to black-beard. ZaRDoZ (not yet 6 months) definitely beards--sometimes when I'm trying to get hold of him (along with hissing & biting)--but sometimes just inflating while he's basking. I figured it was something like stretching (or rehearsing? :lol: )

In all this time, he's never black-bearded; at this point, I don't even know if he's capable, or if one of his morphs could've messed that up. He's got a... band/swath across the bottom of his beard that gets a little darker, with some orange as well, but that's it.

It probably doesn't matter; it's highly unlikely he'll ever meet another dragon--m or f, and we're no threat to him (despite what he thinks/how he acts :lol: ).
I don't know either but expected they would need to be adult to BB. You know about assuming. ?
Petey has that little band that looks a little darker sometimes but have never seen him go full on black beard like some of the pics I've seen. Not even close but he is pretty chill.
-Dee

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Well Blaze turns is beard black and hes only 8 months old- every time we bring him out and are holding him the beard goes black which tells me hes stressed out--
Karrie

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
KarrieRee":1832w1aw said:
Well Blaze turns is beard black and hes only 8 months old- every time we bring him out and are holding him the beard goes black which tells me hes stressed out--
Karrie
So I'm guessing EDID? (Every Dragon Is Different)
Have you heard of young ones like 3-4 months doing it? Just curious. ?
-Dee

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yep he did it at that age too---- I had a very feisty dragon when I got him --- he has since tamed down but he still turns his beard black - its not its coal black but you can definitely see the difference in color
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom