FYI - "Wild" Brumation Behavior

Have any questions about one of the many subtle behaviors a beardie has? Ask and discuss it here!

FYI - "Wild" Brumation Behavior

Postby Claudiusx » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:18 am

Introduction

Brumation is a decently misunderstood aspect of keeping bearded dragons. There is a lot of fear surrounding it. There is a lot of misinformation surrounding it too. But, it is a very natural process for bearded dragons, and one that we just have to trust them to know what they are doing.

Recently, I came across a post on Instagram by a pretty big time breeder. This breeder has outdoor pens for her dragons which allows her to give her dragons some nice outdoor time. What striked me as extremely interesting was her caption on this picture: (permission was gotten from her to post her pictures and her words to this site)
[Click image to enlarge]

At first glance, nothing is too out of the ordinary. The dragon looks big and healthy, just a little bit sandy. But what is interesting about this picture is the story behind it.

FairyTail_Dragons_LLC

Thought I would share this photo with the dragon community. This girl has been “MIA” for several weeks now. One day she was out and basking, the next morning she was “gone”. Just a short time ago she made the decision to resurface and bask. She had a number of options provided to her to seek shelter and brumate when she was ready. What do you see in this photo? ***Edit to provide more info since I’m getting so many questions in pm... Yes... This is a natural behavior for them!
So just to reiterate what is being said here. This dragon was out in her pen one day, and missing the next. She was not worried that the dragon escaped, as she know her pens were built well. This dragon dug itself a hole, and slept completely buried for several weeks. And then one day, decided it wanted to wake up, dug itself out, and proceed to move on with her life.

No one was going and checking on the dragon every few days. No one was offering it food or water. It just slept, completely intombed in sand for several weeks.
And this isn't the only one of Fairytail's dragons who has done this. This picture was posted a few weeks ago also.
[Click image to enlarge]

With the caption:

FairyTail_Dragons_LLC

When you are digging up eggs from one girl and accidentally uncover her brumating house mate.

So, this dragon was also completely buried and sleeping. No mention is made of how long, it could have been a few hours, a few days, or a few weeks. But, she was only uncovered because Fairytail was digging out eggs that another female had just laid. So it must have been fairly deep.

So what is the point of all of this?

Well the point is simply to show that brumation is a natural behavior that dragons have been doing for as long as they've been around. They know how to do it, when to do it, and why to do it. Even if it doesn't make sense to us, it makes sense to them. And, they are not as fragile as one might think while brumating. There is no need to worry about your brumating dragon going a few days or a few weeks without eating. Relax, let nature take it's course, and buy another dragon to fill your free time :mrgreen:

Remember, if your dragon is healthy and starts brumating, there is nothing to worry about. If you have husbandry issues or your dragon has/is sick, you should not just instantly assume brumation.

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
Click here if you use a Sunblaster fixture - IMPORTANT
Claudiusx

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: FYI - "Wild" Brumation Behavior

Postby JohnVLillywhite » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:38 pm

Good story! Should pin this to the top of behavior, so people don't freak out.
JohnVLillywhite
Hatchling Poster

Postby Claudiusx » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:05 am

Glad you found it interesting :)

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
Click here if you use a Sunblaster fixture - IMPORTANT
Claudiusx

Postby kingofnobbys » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:53 pm

I keep saying - CONTEXT IS EVERYTHING .

What is the climate these pet bearded dragons were living in ? Florida is not exactly year round hot from what I'd read.
https://www.currentresults.com/Weather/ ... -month.php
that is quite similar to the temperature ranges on a monthly basis to that in the southern extremes of the natural range of wild bearded dragons. So these dragons if kept out doors will be responding the cold days and nights and reduced UV as the cool months approach.

Brumation is keyed in the wild to
- food availability ( in many places insects become very hard to find as does herbs and native fruits
- in some areas it gets quite cold ( under 20 degC during the day ) , even frosty at night.

While in other areas, food is abundant year round and it's warm year round, and hey guess what , reptiles like bearded dragons don't brumate in these areas.
Case in point, we lived in Port Hedland for 3 years , I was a consultant engineer at the BHP's DRI full scale pilot plant , it's a location that has only two seasons , the DRY ( when it's hot and dry = winter and it's never cold at night ) and the WET (when it's very hot , and the monsoons arrive ).Wild (bearded) dragons and all other reptiles and amphibians are active year round there and were frequently seen around the site and town , and port and beach .
People in Hedland who I met who had pet reptiles , nearly all kept the larger reptiles outdoors in pits .
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : , Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Gutzy (F) rescued 27Sep19 - RIP 3Aug20 (est 12 yo), Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Behavior