Hiding under??

Status
Not open for further replies.

LimKH

Hi. I got my bearded dragon about a month ago. It's fed well. Staple diet are dubia roaches. I dust them with calcium and multivitamins. My bearded dragon started to hide under the substrate(paper towel)for some reason. Can anyone know the cause? The temperature are about 100-110.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yep that is normal -- if you have a hide in your tank you can cut up some fleece blanket into strips or paper towels as well some sort of soft clothing for them to burrow under ---- your UVB is it the length of the tank or shorter?- they need to be able to get out of the rays of the UVB if they want and hiding is sometimes the way they do it --- other wise that is a normal behavior
Karrie

LimKH

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2jhffwcx said:
Yep that is normal -- if you have a hide in your tank you can cut up some fleece blanket into strips or paper towels as well some sort of soft clothing for them to burrow under ---- your UVB is it the length of the tank or shorter?- they need to be able to get out of the rays of the UVB if they want and hiding is sometimes the way they do it --- other wise that is a normal behavior
Karrie

I think the UVB is shorter than the tank actually ?(should I raise the UVB higher?). Can you please elaborate more on the fleese blanket thing as I'm not quite sure what to do on that. I do have a hide but I only have one. If I put 2 or more it would take up a lot of space.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
just the one hide is good --- something he can dig and burrow in -- fleece like an old blanket that the kids may of had or soft clothing an old T shirt cut into strips --- something like that even paper towels will work -- what tube are you using for the UVB a T 8 or T 5 and what distance is it at now?
Karrie

LimKH

Original Poster
KarrieRee":eyie7nzn said:
just the one hide is good --- something he can dig and burrow in -- fleece like an old blanket that the kids may of had or soft clothing an old T shirt cut into strips --- something like that even paper towels will work -- what tube are you using for the UVB a T 8 or T 5 and what distance is it at now?
Karrie

Ohh, ok I'll try doing that. I'm neither using the T8 nor the t5 actually?. I'm using the Exo Terra Reptile UVB 150. I'm using this is because the tank I'm currently using is still small. I will change the tank to a bigger tank in the future when my baby starts to grow bigger. The distance of the UVB is about 10 inch above.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so its a ALL in One bulb? How old is the dragon? He should not be trying to brumate if that is what hes doing - is he still a baby? Please post pics of the tank and his set up --- is he basking and eating?
Karrie

LimKH

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3atka64z said:
Ok so its a ALL in One bulb? How old is the dragon? He should not be trying to brumate if that is what hes doing - is he still a baby? Please post pics of the tank and his set up --- is he basking and eating?
Karrie

No, I have the UVB bulb and one Exo Terra Intense Basking. I got him/her for a month now. He/she was a baby when I got him/her. He/her isn't brumating tho. He/her just hides under the paper towel. He/her is eating and basking well. I can't really post a picture as he/her is sleeping rn. It's night time for where I'm at. I'll post tmr when he/her is wide awake.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok please do get it posted so we can see what is going on
Karrie

LimKH

Original Poster
KarrieRee":eq6gcymk said:
Ok please do get it posted so we can see what is going on
Karrie

How do I post it on my phone tho... People have been saying that you can only send pictures through computers.

LimKH

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1n9x1ev4 said:
Use this link https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at top of message box and then click on the pic that you want to post
Karrie
106497-1496419371.jpg
106497-8075880040.jpg
These pictures were taken during the day. He/she did it again. I've raised the UVB higher than it was before. He still does it tho. He isn't brumating that's the thing. Don't judge on the setup ? I kinda suck on setups for animals and arachnids.
Edit: Thx for the link btw :D

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So the UVB is a coil? You need to describe the UVB ----- what you should have for a UVB is a Reptisun 10.0 TUBE no coil - how big is the tank and do you plan on upgrading ? The tank looks like a 30 gallon or so --- you need floor space for your dragon not height --- but you need to get a decent UVB first --- I would get a 24" fixture that way it will go right into your next tank --- you can look on Amazon or you can look here for a fixture -- they have one for $32 and it has a reflector - you want a fixture w/ a reflector--- www.pangeareptiles.com - they are fast and good - you need to get the TUBE bulb T 5 -- the T 5 will sit on top of the tank and distance needs to be 12-15 inches w/ no screen on the tank - if you go w/ a T 8 it will need to go inside the tank approx 6-8 inches from basking decor --
Karrie

LimKH

Original Poster
KarrieRee":p0n97ibq said:
So the UVB is a coil? You need to describe the UVB ----- what you should have for a UVB is a Reptisun 10.0 TUBE no coil - how big is the tank and do you plan on upgrading ? The tank looks like a 30 gallon or so --- you need floor space for your dragon not height --- but you need to get a decent UVB first --- I would get a 24" fixture that way it will go right into your next tank --- you can look on Amazon or you can look here for a fixture -- they have one for $32 and it has a reflector - you want a fixture w/ a reflector--- http://www.pangeareptiles.com - they are fast and good - you need to get the TUBE bulb T 5 -- the T 5 will sit on top of the tank and distance needs to be 12-15 inches w/ no screen on the tank - if you go w/ a T 8 it will need to go inside the tank approx 6-8 inches from basking decor --
Karrie
I'm planning to upgrading the tank to an Exo Terra large/low. I'm currently using this bulb here:
106497-1156804846.jpg
When I change the tank, I will change the UVB 100%. The problem is that the exotic pet shops don't sell the fixture for the T5/T8 I think. If I buy it from oversea sellers, it would be very expensive.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
amazon.com--- look there -- you can also look at sunblaster fixtures - not sure if they ship overseas --- dont know much about getting stuff over seas - some others on here would but as long as your using that coil bulb he will continue same behavior so I would look at getting this stuff changed out ASAP-- the UVB first --- if it is sunny and warm where you are take him outside for 15 minutes direct sunlight in a plastic container no metal let him sun that will give him approx 4 hrs of UVB ---
Karrie

LimKH

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3cfajw88 said:
amazon.com--- look there -- you can also look at sunblaster fixtures - not sure if they ship overseas --- dont know much about getting stuff over seas - some others on here would but as long as your using that coil bulb he will continue same behavior so I would look at getting this stuff changed out ASAP-- the UVB first --- if it is sunny and warm where you are take him outside for 15 minutes direct sunlight in a plastic container no metal let him sun that will give him approx 4 hrs of UVB ---
Karrie
Ok! I'll look in Amazon to find out. I will change the UVB ASAP. I can take him outside in the evenings. Will that work as it's not that sunny compared to 12 o'clock noon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom