Beardie spikes

Status
Not open for further replies.

LjZonum

Ok, I can’t be the ONLY one that has noticed this happening? We have a 6 month old bearded dragon. I moved him into a much larger enclosure about a month ago... he likes it so much that the only time he wants out is to poop (but hey, at least he’s predictable!). ANYWAY, I’ve noticed that when he REALLY doesn’t want me to handle him, his spikes/spines will be extra pokey / hurtful (can pierce skin) whereas normally when I pick him up and hold him his spikes aren’t an issue at all. I’ve done some research, but have found nothing like this on line. Am I Crazy? Do I have some sort of “special” dragon? Is this normal but not spoken of? I’m just looking to see if anyone else has noticed something like this.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Their spikes tend to "align for puncture" when they bloat themselves up slightly. My Tombo I swear can puncture my skin with his side spikes if I go to grab him when he does this.

They bloat themselves to look bigger and more intimidating. So if he isn't wanting to be held, it would make sense for him to do that. It's his way of saying "back you beast!" LOL. But when Tombo is relaxed and ok with it, I don't get impaled.

-Brandon

LjZonum

Original Poster
Thank you! I’ve read that they can sometimes go through a sort of teenager faze ... I’m hoping this is the case with my George and that he goes back to wanting to hang out with people again once he’s through it. In the mean time, I’ll just keep making sure he’s happy and healthy.
Thank you again. It’s good to have some justification about what I’ve experienced.

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
I absolutely experienced this too when I was giving medicine to my Devlyn. She did not want the feeding syringe. Only time she ever got so spiky it hurt. Normally I call her spikes "soft" because she leaves them very flexible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom