New beardie hasnt pooped yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calypso90

My girlfriend picked up a beardie 2 days ago and hes been showing interest in eating his crickets but some of the "small" crickets given seem to be slightly bigger then his space between his eyes, so I'm worried about giving him those. Also since relocating as title states, hasnt pooped in 2 days. Doing my best at husbandry, reading as much as possible but dont want him to become impacted if giving the slightly larger "small" crickets. Hopefully I'm just over thinking, or maybe havent fed him enough.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hes gonna go thru relocation stress and his eating is going to slow down so pooping will slow down - please give us a run down on your lighting in the tank basking temps and how your taking them-- that is the biggest health concern for the dragon - if those are all correct you gonna have a healthy dragon - you can post pics of your tank and lighting
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at top of message box then the pic and it should post --- we can better help if we can see what we need to answer to
Karrie

Calypso90

Original Poster
106933-2743711178.jpg

This is what we have set up for the time being, have basking temps in the range of 96-100 (basking light is currently propped up to keep it from getting hotter then 105). Cool side is roughly 80-85. At night all lights are off and temps reach roughly around 75.

Calypso90

Original Poster
Also I am using a digital thermometer with a probe and left it on its basking spot for about an hour to see its actual temps best I could. Sorry just realized that pic didnt have the lighting shown up, but I'm also using a uvb 5.0 tube light for 10-12 hours a day.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The 5.0 bulb will work but it is not as strong as the 10.0 - you have one set up more for aquarium use - I would suggest you swap that bulb out for a 10.0- where on the tank is it ? on top of screen or inside? The screen is going to filter out 30% of those rays so if its on top of screen hes not getting nearly enough UVB -- that will effect his eating and absorbing the calcium he needs --- I haft to ask but what size tank is he in? You need to feed him baby crickets -- or small dubia roaches --- and he needs to be fed a salad every day --- here is a nutrition website for you http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ------------ I would suggest you get some small super worms if you can find them and use 1-3 on top of his salad - that will entice him to the bowl and order some of these BSFL they are a great staple feeder and dont need to be dusted they too can be added to the salad just make sure he sees you putting them on top and it will get him to the bowl order large from this site https://symtonbsf.com/ you can also order dubia roaches --- these are a better staple feeder as far as nutrition - www.dubiaroaches.com ---- mulberryfarms.com ---- abdragons.com---- joshsfrogs.com ---- they also have butter worms or horn worms these grow really fast --- super worms --- silk worms are great too but hard to find and spendy -- NO Mealworms too harsh on babies stomachs ---
Karrie

Calypso90

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3pl82wkq said:
The 5.0 bulb will work but it is not as strong as the 10.0 - you have one set up more for aquarium use - I would suggest you swap that bulb out for a 10.0- where on the tank is it ? on top of screen or inside? The screen is going to filter out 30% of those rays so if its on top of screen hes not getting nearly enough UVB -- that will effect his eating and absorbing the calcium he needs --- I haft to ask but what size tank is he in? You need to feed him baby crickets -- or small dubia roaches --- and he needs to be fed a salad every day --- here is a nutrition website for you http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ------------ I would suggest you get some small super worms if you can find them and use 1-3 on top of his salad - that will entice him to the bowl and order some of these BSFL they are a great staple feeder and dont need to be dusted they too can be added to the salad just make sure he sees you putting them on top and it will get him to the bowl order large from this site https://symtonbsf.com/ you can also order dubia roaches --- these are a better staple feeder as far as nutrition - http://www.dubiaroaches.com ---- mulberryfarms.com ---- abdragons.com---- joshsfrogs.com ---- they also have butter worms or horn worms these grow really fast --- super worms --- silk worms are great too but hard to find and spendy -- NO Mealworms too harsh on babies stomachs ---
Karrie

Yes I have read up on the 10.0 bulb and will be getting one, also will be mounting it underneath lid using zip ties. Currently hes in a 10 gallon tank(girlfriend bought a kit, most of which was incorrect). Have only fed him 3 mealworms before finding out about thier shells, will look for better food options. Also have been giving salads with meals, only had mustard greens, escarole, and butternut squash to provide him with for time being.i have been calcium dusting crickets in the morning and would like to feed him 2nd time for nights(no dusting) but havent bc I've been worried about him going to the bathroom. I'm just in panic mode right now. Also I believe I purchased baby crickets but some seem too big for him, picking out the smallest ones so far.
106933-2612347408.jpg
106933-8740195273.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok heads up on the tank ------------------- you need to seriously start looking for a bigger tank ---- you can check craigslist for used make sure they have front doors if you can find one --- or FB marketwatch as well and if you find one make sure you sanitize it before use ------------- I would look for a 50-120 gallon as big as you can afford --- by the time hes a year old he will be utilizing the space --- believe me they grow fast ---- I would start getting your decor in order and UVB --- a 10 gallon tank -- what size fixture do you have???? I am thinking stay w/ that 5.0 bulb now since the tank is only a 10 gallon and take the screen off the tank and let the fixture sit on it w/ out it -- I dont want you over UVBing him --- offer him crickets 2 times per day --- he needs the food - his main diet is protein at this point and if hes eating greens now that is wonderful ---------------- he will poop dont worry about it make sure hes hydrated that will help w/ the pooping- you can wash his greens before serving that will keep him hydrated along w/ his crickets being fed good too -- like carrots that is a good hydration source for the crickets and him -- he needs vitamins 2 x per week and the dusting of crickets 5 x per week -- the UVB and basking temps are the most important thing --- basking temps of 105-110 --- that is digestion process --- I would move the UVB towards the hammock and get the screen off the tank ---
Karrie

Calypso90

Original Poster
KarrieRee":34bk0q10 said:
Ok heads up on the tank ------------------- you need to seriously start looking for a bigger tank ---- you can check craigslist for used make sure they have front doors if you can find one --- or FB marketwatch as well and if you find one make sure you sanitize it before use ------------- I would look for a 50-120 gallon as big as you can afford --- by the time hes a year old he will be utilizing the space --- believe me they grow fast ---- I would start getting your decor in order and UVB --- a 10 gallon tank -- what size fixture do you have???? I am thinking stay w/ that 5.0 bulb now since the tank is only a 10 gallon and take the screen off the tank and let the fixture sit on it w/ out it -- I dont want you over UVBing him --- offer him crickets 2 times per day --- he needs the food - his main diet is protein at this point and if hes eating greens now that is wonderful ---------------- he will poop dont worry about it make sure hes hydrated that will help w/ the pooping- you can wash his greens before serving that will keep him hydrated along w/ his crickets being fed good too -- like carrots that is a good hydration source for the crickets and him -- he needs vitamins 2 x per week and the dusting of crickets 5 x per week -- the UVB and basking temps are the most important thing --- basking temps of 105-110 --- that is digestion process --- I would move the UVB towards the hammock and get the screen off the tank ---
Karrie

I will most definitely be getting a larger tank, didnt want to move him again though until he had a chance to acclimate to his surroundings. The basking light is a 5.5 dome with a 75w heat bulb(looks like baby flood light kinda). The uvb housing is 15 inches long or so, tube itself may be 14 inches. I have been misting him once in morning since hes not ready to be held for baths yet, tried on day one and he was spazzing a little. So I've basically let him be since then, only bothering him to feed in mornings after heating up tank for an hour or 2. Thank you for your quick response and now I feel a bit more at ease. Still worried about my cricket size right now, some just seem too big. Though that's all I was able to find today for small. Will also go and buy some decor for his bigger home ahead of time.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes hes still going thru relocation stress but he will go thru it again when you move him into a bigger tank --- he will adjust --- right now you need the UVB to be correct and his basking temps --- or he will not eat ---- he needs to be able to sit under that UVB --- I would look at getting that ordered or bought as well --- a 24" fixture will fit a bigger tank nicely and make sure it has a reflector - do not get a fixture from Home Depot or somewhere they do not have reflectors on them and then you will be spending more money on a different one - there is a fixture / hood on this site for $32 and it has bulbs you can order for it as well --- www.pangeareptiles.com --- they are fast and very nice people ---just to let you know you will be spending some money on this stuff --- decor lights tanks substrate is all spendy - the substrate wasnt too bad for me-- I put in slated ceramic tile from Home Depot for around $13 and that was for a 120 gallon tank and it doesnt need to be replaced like the reptile carpet or sand mats etc-------------
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom