worried beardie mom here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breezy85

My boy is acting really strange, for the last few days his behavior has been completely off. It all started when i stayed the night with family for christmas, I fed him his dinner as usual then went to stay the night with family, upon returning home the next morning I attempted to feed him breakfast as normal but he refused to eat. I chalked it up to him being aggervated that I had been gone and wasnt home to cuddle before he goes to bed as we usually do. I attempted to get him back on his routine thinking it would all calm down in a day or two but I was wrong. Now it has been 4 days and my boy is barely eating anything. He still enjoys his salads but doesnt want his feeders at all. Yesterday he ate 4 feeders (small dubia) and that was it all day other then his salad. I have tried everything ive given Bsfl, dubia,crickets and even tried wax worms but he isnt interested he will see his feeders and go the oppisite direction.
Along with not eating he has started to run back and forth in his enclosure everytime he sees me destroying everything and trying to climb the walls whille hitting his nose on the glass. He displays this weird behavior through the day everytime he sees me or hears my voice. Ive tried to take him out more often through the day thinking he may just need to burn some energy but it doesnt seem to help. When hes out he doesnt really want to play he just wants to follow me through the house. It seems like he is miserable, ive wondered if it may be beardie puberty since he is 6 months and 2 weeks old. My boy has started headbobbing and bearding and random things throughout the day.
He is 6 months and 2weeks old, nothing in his enclosure has changed. He has beein in the same tank since I first got him when he was almost 6 inches long, he is now 18 inches in length and weighs 356 grams. I weigh him using a kitchen scale every 2 weeks, but lately im weighing him every week due to lack of eating.
my boy is in a 40 breeder and has been in the same tank for the last 4-1/2 months. his temps are 80 on the cool side and 107 under his basking bulb . I have a reptisun 10.0 mounted under his tank 6 inches from his highest basking spot that covers the majority of his tank and He has a bright white basking bulb placed above his hammock , I have used the same brand of bulbs since he came home with me but a week ago his basking bulb quit so i replaced it with a new bulb of the same strength and brand. I thought maybe the new bulb was getting to warm so i lowered his hammock a tiny bit and i checked his temps but the temps were ok. I have a digital thermomater with a probe that sets on his basking area and a hygrometer that sticks to the back of the wall. I also use a temp gun to measure temps throughout the enclosure.
Deztund has always been a very happy, playful boy and ive never had any issues with him. In the past he has skipped a meal but never refused his feeders for days like this, he has always been a great eater, even when hes shedding. My boy does look like hes about to shed his tail and back legs, its already starting ti peel off around his thigh.
Deztund gets baths 2-3x per week as needed, and he comes out to play atleast 2x a day.
I am so sorry for writing so much, thankyou to those who read it. I am worried to death about my little guy, hes not just a pet he is part of the family and we love him very much. I have no idea what is going on with him but hopefully some of you may have some ideas on how to help him.
I tried to cover all my basis but if you have any questions please dont hesitate to ask.
what do you all think, beardie puberty? or something else?? I am so confused and dont know what to do, any advice is highly appreciated. Thankyou

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hormones -- hes going thru puberty --- the head bobbing etc is normal - hes restless w/ the wall surfing --- the T 8 you said you replaced here recently correct? That is good since they need to be changed out every 6 months- I wouldnt worry about him just keep an eye on his weight he sounds like hes in great shape -- keep offering him his food -- it may take a while for him to settle down but for the most part I think your doing all you can do --
Karrie

Breezy85

Original Poster
Okay that was what I was thinking, I've read about everything online in the last few days trying to figure it out, and I guess I needed a little reassurance. Yes I change his bulbs every 6 months.
Great news though, he ate 4 dubia roaches and 4 m/L crickets just now, I'm so relieved but I guess I will just have to wait it out and keep offering feeders like you said hopefully it won't last to long.
Thankyou so much for your response, I worry myself to pieces over my little guy.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom