Sluggish beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.
My girl has been sleeping in a lot lately. Normally the lights come on and she is up and ready. Lately i find her under her rock, still sleeping or with her eyes half open. She still eats fine and poops daily. She is in a 40 gal tank, with a reptisun T10 and a 100watt basking light. 78-80 on cool side, 100-105 basking temp, and 90 on hot side. Could this be brumation?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You didnt say how old the dragon is? And yes it could be brumation if shes a year or older --- the T 10? Did you mean 10.0 bulb ? What is the bulb itself a T 5 or a T 8 it will say on the bulb and where in the tank is it ? on top of screen or inside the tank ? We need to rule lighting out all together to see if that is reason for behavior
Karrie

hellabombskies

Original Poster
KarrieRee":34pa1lj1 said:
You didnt say how old the dragon is? And yes it could be brumation if shes a year or older --- the T 10? Did you mean 10.0 bulb ? What is the bulb itself a T 5 or a T 8 it will say on the bulb and where in the tank is it ? on top of screen or inside the tank ? We need to rule lighting out all together to see if that is reason for behavior
Karrie
It’s a T5 10.0. I have the light on top of the screen, but it is within 8-10 inches from the basking spot which i was told on here will be enough for me to still keep the light on top of the screen. I do not know her age, but if i were to guess, she is about 9 months to 1 year. She started doing this 4 days ago. She still eats and drinks fine

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok yep sounds like she's slowing down -- keep on eye on her weight if she starts losing weight and she gets really smelly runny poops could be parasites--
Karrie

hellabombskies

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2fpmnyn1 said:
Ok yep sounds like she's slowing down -- keep on eye on her weight if she starts losing weight and she gets really smelly runny poops could be parasites--
Karrie

I should add that she is hiding under her basking log. I worry she is not getting enough light

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Is she not basking at all ? They usually bask after they have eaten-- is she doing that?
Karrie

hellabombskies

Original Poster
KarrieRee":33cmra25 said:
Is she not basking at all ? They usually bask after they have eaten-- is she doing that?
Karrie

After i posted my last reply, she came out and went to her basking spot. She has not touched her greens yet, but she is running around her tank like normal now. It’s looking like she just lays around and comes out in the afternoon lately. It worried me because she normally is out and basking by 8am. Today she came out around 2:30pm

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok good as long as she is eating some pooping and basking and not losing weight you are good - sounds like her metabolism is slowed due to the time of year -- any more concerns please post and ask
Karrie

hellabombskies

Original Poster
KarrieRee":pvxrd528 said:
Ok good as long as she is eating some pooping and basking and not losing weight you are good - sounds like her metabolism is slowed due to the time of year -- any more concerns please post and ask
Karrie

Awesome thanks

hellabombskies

Original Poster
Okay so i am back. Dale was sluggish again this morning till about 2:30pm. Then she was up like normal. I fed her greens, a couple of freeze dried crickets. Then her dubia roaches. So just now i was on the phone and i walked by Dale’s tank. She was in her basking spot and i did a double take cus her eyes looked bulged out. They were in fact bulged out and her eyes were in the back of her head and she was doing some weird twitch. It went on for 3 seconds after i caught it (I don’t know how long she was like that), but she snapped out of it and is acting completely normal! I will be calling the vet for an appt tomorrow, but i am really worried. Any ideas on what might be going on?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Eye bulging is very common when they are about to she their face. An imminent shed would also explain the symptoms that you are seeing as shedding is often frustrating and stressful for them.

So this could all be over a simple shed :)

-Brandon

hellabombskies

Original Poster
claudiusx":wpzfvf79 said:
Eye bulging is very common when they are about to she their face. An imminent shed would also explain the symptoms that you are seeing as shedding is often frustrating and stressful for them.

So this could all be over a simple shed :)

-Brandon

I also saw on this page that it can be a form of yawning. Way to freak out over nothing! Lol thank you

hellabombskies

Original Poster
So today she was not basking at all and hiding under her basking log. I spoke with the vet and the vet insists that her temps are too high and was giving me attitude saying “I don’t know who told you that those temps are okay”. The temps in her tank are as followed:

Basking: 100-106

Hot side: 90

Cool side: 75-80

She claims that the basking temp should be no more than 95. She then said “10 week old bearded dragons don’t brumate” and i had to correct her that my beardy is much older than 10 weeks and is quite large. What should i do?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You can set up a gradient for basking temps- get a piece of decor that she has different places to sit-- there are decor pieces at PetSmart it's called a all living things knarled wood - something like that - it will give her a choice of where to sit-- if she wants lower heat she will find that spot or more heat etc...you don't want to have her only option of 90 or so- you will find if the basking spot is not hot enough she may not be able to digest her food properly
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom